3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

pulsing squeek or "chirping" when turning

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 11:27 AM
Dave_KY
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pulsing squeek or "chirping" when turning

'07 2500 HD 4x4 50K miles give or take a few. The noise is pretty quiet, I can only hear it when I'm going relatively slow with the windows open in a quiet area. If the steering wheel is at twelve oclock there is no noise, but a couple degrees to the left or right and the noise starts. The noise is a pulsing squeek or chirp that increases/decreases in time with wheel speed.

Any ideas where to start looking?

Thanks for any help guys.
Dave

Old 08-15-2011, 08:29 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I would check the brakes and make sure the rotors are not warped. Even the slightest warped rotor could potentially and slightly rub the pads causing a squeak like you describe. Next thing I would check are the front wheel bearing hub assemblies

Old 08-15-2011, 02:58 PM
Dave_KY
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by weedahoe
I would check the brakes and make sure the rotors are not warped. Even the slightest warped rotor could potentially and slightly rub the pads causing a squeak like you describe. Next thing I would check are the front wheel bearing hub assemblies
Thanks for the suggestions!

It sounds just like that, but If it was a warped rotor, wouldn't hitting the brakes change the noise some? Right now the only thing that seems to affect it is turning. Sterring wheel straight, no noise, slight turn to the left or right, squeek...squeek...squeek...

Quick Reply: pulsing squeek or "chirping" when turning