3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ac fuse keeps blowing

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 10:48 PM
mt hunter22
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ac fuse keeps blowing

hi i have a 2003 dodge ram 2500 diesel and my ac just quit working one day, so i checked the fuse and sure enough blown fuse so i replaced it and it blew again in about 15 min,, replaced it again and it worked for about 1 hour and a half and blew again. so today i checked the clutch and it has 5 ohms of resistance.what could my problem be? i have never noticed it leaking refrigerant but dont know how full it is.. any ideas would be appreciated.and also i really dont have the cash to take it to the shop right now.. thanks

Old 08-25-2011, 06:24 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which fuse? There are likely two or three.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:59 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Is it when you are turning on the fan motor for inside air or when you press the "snow flake" button for the ac to be turned on?

Old 08-25-2011, 12:27 PM
mt hunter22

it is fuse number 16 in my fuse box and it says ac clutch.. that is the problem i am not sure when it is blowing it seems random but it could be when i start up the truck.. the first time it blew after putting in a new fuse i didnt do anything that i can remember,just was driving along and no ac again.the second time i turned it off cause i was nice and cool and then when i turned it back on,, dead. also it was warm on the passenger side for quite a while but eventually got cool, probably not as cool as the driver side which started out cold but nice and cool.. not sure this helps,, thank you all for the advice.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:49 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

So try disconnecting the electrical connector to the AC compressor and see if it still blows. That way you will know if it is the clutch itself or something else

Old 08-25-2011, 11:30 PM
okse

Had this happen on a car. I disconnected the AC clutch and still popped. Turned out to be the fan motor. Test new motor before installing and check fuse. Check also the AC, fan relays

Old 08-26-2011, 05:26 PM
mt hunter22

well here is my problem i have had it running for 2 days now and it still hasnt blown,,so it is hard to tell when it does blow if it the clutch or not, and simply unplugging it and switching the fuse doesnt work cause when i put a fuse in it doesnt blow quickly sometimes anyway...i dont believe it has a fan except for the main fan for the radiator,which blows on all three radiators including the ac one...and i switched the relay with the one for my fog lights since they were the same and it didnt seem to make any difference..

Old 08-26-2011, 05:43 PM
Caseys-dodge
Veteran

No AC Condenser fan??? I know you said it's a diesel engine, and I've never seen under a hood of a ram diesel so I don't know... But if it worked for a few days and really randomly blows the fuse it'll probably be a damaged wire that is getting rattled around and shorting out. If the compressor or other components were being overloaded or were bad internally I would think it would blow the fuse more often and within a few minutes of turning the AC system on.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:46 AM
mt hunter22

well i put a 15 amp fuse in wednesday.and i finally blew today sunday..the fuse that is supposed to be in their is a 10 amp but 15 amp was the lowest i had.. i turned the truck on and off several times and also turned the ac on and off a few times.. when it blew to day i was juts driving fairly slowly "about 35" and it quit working had the fan speed set on low..not sure if that made a difference,,i guess i will try to track the wire better and see if i can find a bare spot..is there spots that are more likely to be a problem area? any suggestions? thanks

Old 08-29-2011, 11:21 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Only problem area i've seen in threads is at the harness on the ignition switch. I never clearly understood if this blew only when using the ac compressor and the inside fan blowing or with the ac compressor off and the inside fan blowing?

Quick Reply: ac fuse keeps blowing