3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Awd

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011 | 02:18 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by John M
Nope -- AUTO is yet another option for 4WD besides the normal floor or **** choices. Auto, aka "on demand" is when it shifts itself into 4HI when it detects wheel spin. It's similar to AWD but isn't on all the time, and I think is what they went to instead of AWD.

Auto:

Yeah, I think the TRUE AWD only Rams were strictly '04 & '05s, no option for 2WD with those. They are not well known nor well received.

As a matter of fact, I found this post on another forum:

Hi, I have a 2004 dodge ram with an AWD transfer case, I would like to swap it for a 4WD transfer case, does anyone know what it would take? I am pretty mechanically savi, the reason I want to do this is so that I have the option of using 2wd if I want so that I can save some gas mileage, also I would like to put a lift on my truck and every company says that the kits will not work with the AWD model because it causes excessive vibrations in the front drive line. And to stop any wierd answers before they start, yes there is an AWD option for the ram though it is extreamly rare, my transfer case selector switch has 3 options; AWD 4HI and 4LO, and no, I cannot select 2WD with the transfer case I currently have. Sorry but I have been gettin people talkin to me a lot acting like I'm stupid cause they didn't know you can get an AWD Ram. Thank you.

Last edited by HammerZ71; 08-29-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-03-2012 | 08:31 PM
Dead2Fall
Captain

I have an 04 AWD model and it seems about equivalent on gas mileage. 13-15 city 19-22 hiway. If im really on it the lowest i have seen (today lol) 11.5 MPG. Was pissed at the wife and took her out on a romp lol.