3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Awd

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 01:46 PM
kmirsaeidi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Awd

Is it possible to turn the AWD off and run only on the rear wheels?

I've been desperately trying to find a way to spin those rear tires with these trucks, but no luck, AWD kicks in and moves the truck forward :S

Any thoughts?

Old 08-26-2011, 02:37 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should have either a manual or electric transfer for the 4WD (Not AWD). I would guess for an 04 is manual but I'm not sure. But you should just have to put it in 2WD and go.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:38 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

No, I'm assuming he has the TRUE AWD model. No option for 2WD, just like the Quadra-Drive in my Grand Cherokee, minus my front & rear Vari-Loks. Can't lift an AWD model either, which is why I searched high and low for a Laramie without it and just a simple shifter on the floor.

No way to run simply in 2WD to my knowledge and I've even had a StarScan tool at my disposal to play with and I've not seen an option there either.

Unlike a normal transfer case where you can simply disconnect the front driveshaft with no ill effect, you ain't supposed to do it in the AWD models either. It's said it will permanently f*ck up the transfer case...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 08-26-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:49 PM
kmirsaeidi

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
No, I'm assuming he has the TRUE AWD model. No option for 2WD, just like the Quadra-Drive in my Grand Cherokee, minus my front & rear Vari-Loks. Can't lift an AWD model either, which is why I searched high and low for a Laramie without it and just a simple shifter on the floor.

No way to run simply in 2WD to my knowledge and I've even had a StarScan tool at my disposal to play with and I've not seen an option there either.

Unlike a normal transfer case where you can simply disconnect the front driveshaft with no ill effect, you ain't supposed to do it in the AWD models either. It's said it will permanently f*ck up the transfer case...
thanks for clarification, this is the answer I was afraid of.

Enjoy your 2WDs folks

Old 08-26-2011, 02:55 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Well, you can forget locking up the back wheels, but if it's any consolation, that AWD is the safest and most efficient system for driving in rain and snow and does quite well for mild off-roading where the conditions constantly change between dry and crummy.

I wasn't too thrilled about the Quadra-Drive in my GC at first, either. I like to be able to control when I'm in 4WD. But I have to admit, especially with the Vari-Loks I have in the front and rear, the thing is WAY better off-road than my truck (ground clearance not withstanding), despite the fact I have a LOT more aggressive tires on the truck. It's a shame NONE OF US have the option for a front locker (or even LSD) on our IFS trucks...

Old 08-26-2011, 03:13 PM
Blacksport
Captain

In my truck, I have 2WD, AUTO, 4HI, and 4LO on my selector. I'm guessing the AUTO selection was added in the newer years to have just 2WD when wanted/needed? Or is AWD different from AUTO?

Old 08-26-2011, 03:58 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by Blacksport
In my truck, I have 2WD, AUTO, 4HI, and 4LO on my selector. I'm guessing the AUTO selection was added in the newer years to have just 2WD when wanted/needed? Or is AWD different from AUTO?

Yes, you basically have an electronic version of a common floor shifter, what the OP has is a specific AWD model.

An AWD system technically is ALWAYS in 4WD mode, but the computer controls how much torque is sent to which set of wheels. Normally, 100% is sent to the rear wheels, but when it senses rear wheel slippage, power is sent to the front wheels, in direct proportion to how much slippage is sensed in the rear wheels. I think where Chrysler missed the boat on this system in the Rams is that there is no provision for correcting side/side wheel slippage, only front/rear. Also, because of the way the system was designed, MOST lift kits cannot be used on these trucks.

On the Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland and Wrangler Rubicon with Quadra-Drive, the system is enhance by the addition of Vari-Loks, which act as lockers to lock the two sides of the axles together, eliminating spin of one side verses the other. On this system, which uses hydraulics, as much as 100% of the vehicles power can be sent to a single wheel, if it's sensed that the three others have no traction. The only real downside to this system is when it don't work, you don't wanna know what parts cost and yes, on the Jeeps it requires special fluids to work properly, ONLY AVAILABLE AT THE DEALER and not cheap!
I'm an **** maintenance nut when it comes to servicing the axles/transfer case/etc. on my Grand Cherokee!!!

Old 08-26-2011, 10:20 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't even know they made the Ram in AWD. You learn something new everyday I guess lol.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:16 AM
Blacksport
Captain

Thanks for clearing that up, Hammer!

Old 08-29-2011, 11:33 AM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope -- AUTO is yet another option for 4WD besides the normal floor or **** choices. Auto, aka "on demand" is when it shifts itself into 4HI when it detects wheel spin. It's similar to AWD but isn't on all the time, and I think is what they went to instead of AWD.

Auto:

Standard (only pic I could find -- had no idea you could get woodgrain *****!)

I'm sorry to hear that the only goal of this thread is to be able to spin the tires. What are you -- 16? Buy a set of 20 inch tires and you won't be in such a hurry to do that again.