3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

gears for 205 mm front diff?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 01:43 AM
guitarded
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gears for 205 mm front diff?

hello guys and galls,

my 04 ram has the awd system, with 9 1/4 rear end, and 205mm front end. current gears are 3.92, but i'm looking to put 4.56 gears front and back.
my only problem is finding a place that makes gear sets for the 205mm front end.

If anybody has info, please let me know. Thanx!

Old 01-11-2009, 01:01 AM
Ram4wd
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: gears for 205 mm front diff?

I have the same interest and just did a Google search using the following: 205MM IFS 4.56.

It seems that Motive makes the gear sets, AirRam sells the sets and install kits:

www.AIRRAM.com

Ebay motors has some listings for the gears. The store is "Just differentials". The search may net you some others as well, and each of these also have the rear sets for the 9.25 rear end.

One note. There was a thread a little while back about putting 4.56's in the newer axles. This may not apply to your model year, I can not recall, but the inside of the rear differential on the newer model axles need to be ground on one corner to ensure complete and proper clearance. Not doing so will apparently trash a set of 4.56's. You may be able to search the forum to find this article just to verify.

Hope is is useful for you as well.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:25 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The 205mm front end is more readily known as an 8" IFS Chrysler Corporate (AAM) front. Everybody sells the ring & pinions for it (Moe's, 4 Wheel Parts, Air Ram, Randy's Ring & Pinion, etc.)
You should not need to grind the carrier in a 3rd Gen to fit the proper gears, but they need to be shimmed and should only be installed by someone with experience in setting differentials...

Quick Reply: gears for 205 mm front diff?