3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Weird vibration

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 10:35 AM
kossuth
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird vibration

Here's what going on. Truck develops a pretty harsh vibration in the frontend (I think LF) but it doesn't always do it. It only does it after I use 4wd or I'm using the truck off the pavement and the suspension does alot of moving and I'm cutting the wheel hard over. I've looked all over the truck and can't seem to find the issue. If it was something like a CV shaft, or tire, or wheel bearing, I would think it would do it all the time. The only thing I can think of is a sticking 4wd solenoid, but it does it even in 2wd if I beat on it hard enough off the asphalt. Everytime all I needed to do is stop the truck and back it up and the vibration would go away and truck would be smooth as silk after that. Any ideas? Thanks guys.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:57 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

There are lots of threads with 4wds having wobble or shaking issues. Most find it to be the cv axles but there are other things to look at also.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:58 PM
Xler8er
Rookie

does this happen in 4 wheel drive
or in 2 wheel drive after you had it in four wheel drive..
I am just asking because if I understood the question correctly you have it in four wheel drive or just took it out of four wheel drive. because when you said you back up then it drives smooth.When you are locked in and on a hard surface when you turn your wheel all the way your axles have a binding effect in four wheel drive because of turning radius dont meet the back axles and the transfer case is chain driven.when you lock out some trucks even my own I will have to back up sometimes for it to unlock. it could be the solenoid or the front axle not disengaging.
hope all helps

Old 09-04-2011, 02:56 AM
kossuth
Professional

Originally Posted by Xler8er
does this happen in 4 wheel drive
or in 2 wheel drive after you had it in four wheel drive..
I am just asking because if I understood the question correctly you have it in four wheel drive or just took it out of four wheel drive. because when you said you back up then it drives smooth.When you are locked in and on a hard surface when you turn your wheel all the way your axles have a binding effect in four wheel drive because of turning radius dont meet the back axles and the transfer case is chain driven.when you lock out some trucks even my own I will have to back up sometimes for it to unlock. it could be the solenoid or the front axle not disengaging.
hope all helps
It's really weird because putting it into 4wd will cause it 90% of the time (sometimes trying to get it to do it you can't). Now, other times I've had it happen is going through a side lot on the dad's farm and obviously the suspension would seriously travel (serious ruts in the side lot) but I would get through no problem in 2wd. Either case it would vibrate like nobodies business once I got it out on the highway like I described above. Reguardless of whether I caused the issue by getting the suspension really moving in 2wd or putting it in 4wd, stopping and backing it up would fix the vibration if it appeared. Just to give you an idea of how bad it is the first time it did it I stopped thinking I had a flat tire. I've looked underneath and I can't find anything that's outta sorts. Wish I had some idea of what could be causing it. Obviously something is shifting around or engaging but I can't figure out what.

Last edited by kossuth; 09-04-2011 at 02:59 AM.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:49 PM
kossuth
Professional
Default Well, starting looking into it

It happened two more times and now I'm thinking its in the rear. So my first suspect was the rear differential. My 2001 ram the posi in it puked it guts so I figured something similar might happened. Pulled the cover and to my surprise the truck has an open differential. I didn't look into when I bought it but I woulda figured being it was a big horn it woulda gotten a posi from the factory, but I guess not. Anyways, I got the truck up in the air and the tried turning over the tires and such and man it turns real hard. Almost feels like it's binding someplace. Couldn't feel any play in the driveshaft but I figured I'd drop it real quick and see if maybe some seized ujoints are the source of this. Nope, everything was good to go as far as the ujoints go. There is still alot of drag when trying to turn the rear wheels over.

Just how much drag should there be when trying to spin over the tires? I know there will be some but man this thing is hard, hard, hard, to turn over by hand. I hung it up for the evening but now I'm wondering if maybe I have a bearing or something going out and thats what the vibration is. Obviously I need to make sure it's not the rear brakes dragging but I'm thinking it shouldn't roll over this hard.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited by kossuth; 10-01-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:47 PM
Xler8er
Rookie

All 1500 have LSD if i remember correctly look in the carrier the washers and disks are tucked up in there on the side of the spider gears.You will need a light of some sort to see the disks..Some one correct me if im wrong but 2500 and 3500 will find open diffs but 1500 all have LSD.check your PARKING BRAKE no joke I hade a vibration and the parking brake was the problem..there is some resistance with LSD diff but not much...
Hope all helps

Old 10-02-2011, 07:22 PM
kossuth
Professional

Originally Posted by Xler8er
All 1500 have LSD if i remember correctly look in the carrier the washers and disks are tucked up in there on the side of the spider gears.You will need a light of some sort to see the disks..Some one correct me if im wrong but 2500 and 3500 will find open diffs but 1500 all have LSD.check your PARKING BRAKE no joke I hade a vibration and the parking brake was the problem..there is some resistance with LSD diff but not much...
Hope all helps
I climbed back under there this morning and noticed you are correct, the clutch packs are way over on the outer side of the spider gears. My old 01 Ram had a posi and it wasn't setup like that. Also everytime I changed the oil in the 01 it was a silver color from the added friction modifier, so I was kinda looking for that same color with this truck if it had posi. So I'm wondering if when an oil change was done before I got the truck they didn't add the modifier. I did notice some clutch material (fine particles)caked all over the bottom of the case. I didn't clean it out real good yet (it started to rain outside) but, I didn't find any large pieces so I'm half way tempted to just throw the right oil back in it with the proper modifier and see what it does.

PS, the E-brake was also bound up like nobodies business too so we'll see if I can get this straightened out.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:28 AM
Xler8er
Rookie

there is a star adjuster on them parking brake..
check your owners manual but I think you need 75-140 synthetic with additive (4oz.)

Quick Reply: Weird vibration