3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Struts/Shocks from hell

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Stinger72
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Struts/Shocks from hell

Hi everyone, first time doing this so bare with me. I wanted to tell everyone of my experience with my front sturts on my dodge ram 1500 4x4 07, and it sucked bad. Also wondering if I was the only one.

I'm going to try to keep it short. It all started with my pass side shock blowing out. So I got on line (shockwarehouse.com) and found some shocks, Bilstein HD shocks to be exact. I thought, I can do this, WRONG. So I took it to my first repair shop and they could not get the lower bolt off the shock. The bolt had seized together to the bushing. The bushing has a metal sleeve. this guy tried everything even heat. I was on a time crunch so I did not want him to cut anything. A week later, yesterday I took off work and drop it off to my second repair shop. I warned him of the bolts and said no problem. I took it to him at 7 am, and when he call me at 1pm and said it's done he said come get this M Fing truck off my lot, I knew it was bad. when i got there he said he has been a mec for 20 years and has never come across struts that F up. He had to cut lot he said, and bolts were from hell it self. 5 straight hour on it.

just wondering if this happen to any one else. thanks reading.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:35 PM
BadHazard
Professional

hasnt happened to me, but my rear shocks are done for. Hope they arent as bad as yours. Did he use anti seize on the new ones?

Old 09-03-2011, 07:05 PM
dakotatrevor
Professional

Yeah, happened to me while trying to install my leveling kit. Both lower strut bolts as well as 3 or 4 lower control arm bolts were seized. Tried everything (torch, air hammer), sawz-all in between the bushing and the frame is what I had to do. My brother is a mechanic, and he said he had never seen any that bad either.

Quick Reply: Struts/Shocks from hell