3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2004 dodge ram 2500 5.7 hemi programmer questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 07:37 PM
seabold
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 dodge ram 2500 5.7 hemi programmer questions

I have a 2004 dodge ram 2500 with the 5.7 hemi. And was looking on here to find out what the best programmer would be. I seen some say super chips and what not but didnt notice any thing about the bully dog tuner? Is it new to the market it or just not a good programmer? I was looking at the Bully Dog Triple Dog GT gas tuner looks like it comes with alot of options for tuning. I use my truck as a daily drive and pully a 7x14 enclosed trailer on the weekends and am wanting better gas millage and better towing performance. I would apprechiate everyones opinions. Thanks

Old 09-11-2011, 08:06 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Bully is one of the two best programmers for diesel trucks, but they are relatively new to the gasser world and pretty much lag behind Superchips and Diablo in the gas truck world.

Unlike later models, Diablo doesn't have good support for the '04 Hemi, so the pick here hands down would be the Superchips 3865 or Cortex tuner...

Old 09-12-2011, 06:55 PM
seabold

What makes the bully dog lag behind. I read the reviews of both and they dont seem much different?

Old 09-12-2011, 07:14 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I don't believe they even touch the transmission, no line pressure increase, no tranny tuning at all. At least the Diablo has tranny support on later model Hemis.

To be honest, they are such a minor player I don't know what the claimed gains are at the rear wheels. I do some work time to time at a local performance shop when they get swamped and I don't think we've even seen a gasser with one in the shop to dyno.

Get you one, almost nobody on here has it. Would like a good, honest review of one for people here...

Old 09-13-2011, 01:23 PM
seabold

Will tuning my tranny do any harm to it since dodge is already known for a weak tranny?

Old 09-13-2011, 02:06 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Dodge HAD **** poor trannies, the 42 & 46re's were the reason Dodge got the reputation of having the best V8s on the planet mated to the worst transmissions, but the Dahmler (Mercedes) engineered 45 & 545rfe's are the best transmissions ever put in a Chrysler vehicle, I dunno if I'd say it's better than the transmissions in comparable Ford & GM gassers, but it's at least finally on par with them.

That said, it's a debatable topic. Dodge "builds in" a certain amount of slip "torque management" into these transmissions and their engineers claims this is to extend transmission life. BUT you talk to ANY transmission tech and he'll tell you slip is the hardest thing on a transmission.

The SC's canned tunes, especially the Performance Tune firms up transmission line pressure to reduce slip, resulting in firmer, crisper shifts. IMO the "butt dyno" feels this a lot more than the 15-20 HP gains from this or any tuner.

Plus, with the optional Transmission Tune package you can reduce torque management further and change shift points. Can you over-do it and f*ck up your transmission by getting way over aggressive? -- YEP.

When Diablo first started delving into transmission tuning, they started with the LX's (Hemi cars) and blew up quite a few trannies, although they've got their ducks in a row now. They just don't support your '04 transmission.

I've NEVER read that the canned tunes on an SC was shown to cause a transmission issue. Doesn't mean it's never happened, but I'm not aware of it if it has...

Now I'm not trying to push you into an SC if you have your heart set on a Bully. I just haven't seen any first hand as opposed to a couple dozen SC, Diablo and SCT tuned vehicles I've worked on, been in or around. But I do know they don't touch the transmission (on Hemi's anyway, I believe they new offer tranny tuning on some GMs). IMO that's the first, best place a tuner goes to work where you can see/feel the improvements.

I'm not jumping on the SC bandwagon, even though I have BETA tested for them, and there are times you read in my posts where I'll recommend someone buy a Diablo or SCT (depending on year/engine/PCM and what mods they have or plan on making). But for an '04 Hemi, I haven't seen/felt/used anything that tunes to the level of a Superchips to date...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 09-13-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:54 PM
seabold

Thanks for your help. I have a few more questions for you though. Does a programmer on a gasser really help out at? I mean is it noticalbe? And What all do you have done to your 04 hemi?

Quick Reply: 2004 dodge ram 2500 5.7 hemi programmer questions