3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 12:00 AM
Eduardo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Problem

I have a 2006 Dodge ram 1500 with the hemi engine, Well a week ago my sister was out of town and when she was about to comeback the truck didnt start finally after a while it started up she got home and we checked with a scanner same one autozone has and it gave us a code for Crankshaft Position Sensor, my friend said to disconnect the battery to clear the code so we did that and 3 days later i have the same problem finally after a while it started then i went and got gas, i pump the gas while the engine running leave the gas station and get to a light and while waiting at the light it just turns off and doesnt want to turn on, well my brother tows it home and after a couple of trys it turns on, so this past friday i swap out the sensor for the crank shaft sensor, i turn it on and take it for a drive after a couple of minutes the service engine light starts flashing, the truck ran good the whole time we checked with the scanner and now it gives me the code for multiple cylinder missfire, im stuck i dont know what to do no more, so i took it for a drive today and theres no more flashing light its still on but just nt flashing i drive for a good hour i get home turn it off then i go out to drive it again light is off no problems i go to a gas station pump gas turn it on and it doesnt want to turn on again after like 20-30mins it turns on i checked with the scanner and it gives no codes at all. Any suggestions on what else todo also before this happened it gave me a code for wrong oil viscosity.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:02 AM
brandenasagra

no promises but try turning your key on and off three times and look at your mileage sometimes theres codes on there that the scan tool dosent pick up it happens with my 03 truck its worth a try

Old 09-12-2011, 10:16 PM
Eduardo

i did that a while ago and no luck, it just doesnt want to start only till a couple of tries it will turn on nce its on doesnt turn off but once i turn it off and turn it on again it works fine then i take it for a drive and turn it off and hear we go again with the same problem, somebody told me to change out the camshaft sensor, i already changed the crankshaft sensor cause that was the first code it gave me, sorry but what would the camshaft have to do with it, im not all familiar with the workings of a motor, also were would that be located at.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:40 PM
brandenasagra

cam senser is on the timing chain cover on the left side i think it works with the crank senor to tell the injectors when to fire something like that i dont know to much either still learning hope this helps.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Eduardo

Ok i change all those things, crankshaft sensor and the camshaft position sensor, bout 2 weeks passed by and my sister was driving and while going under a freeway the truck just dies in middle of traffic during rush hour, so she put it in park and it turn back on she got to work and after that wouldnt turn back on till after bunch of times it started but the truck wouldnt run right so we get it home and all it gives me is a code for multiple cylinder missfire, im stuck as what to do know any other ideas.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:01 PM
dylansav
Amateur

I've had the same problem (minus the truck dying). It has a hard time starting, it'll crank for a good 6 seconds, then start up. I also have the "multiple misfire" code going off on startup.

A few people I've talked to told me that it could be the timing going out. Some others told me to look at the fuel system.

I feel your pain, hope it works out!

Old 09-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Eduardo

Thats what ive been thinking that it might be a problem with the timing or something cause at first it was just that it wouldnt start then after that i changed the crankshaft position sensor and it was good then the code for the camshaft positon sensor came on and the multiple cylinder missfire finally figured out were it was at changed the sensor a week or 2 pass by the truck dies while turning but turns right back on then park it and doesnt want to turn till after 5 or something times, but now its just a code for multiple cylinder missfire but it turns on with out a problem. What yall think would that be a major think if theres a problem with the timing ive never messed with that stuff ill just do easy stuff but once you get in to the timing compression etc thats out of my league.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:48 PM
freestyledude
Captain

I'm almost thinking faulty pcm?

Old 10-01-2011, 06:31 PM
Eduardo

Well i took it to the dealership for a diagnostic and wasn't very happy, they told me 105 for the diagnostic and after couple of hours they call me back telling me its going to be an additional 300 to do a compression test, but right now i can't afford that so i said no, well what they ended up telling me was that, CHECKED VEHICLE AND FOUND #2 AND 3 CYLINDER MISSFIRES SWAPPED COILS, PLUGS AND INJECTORS AND STILL HAD SAME RESULTS. RECOMENDED A COMPRESSION TEST, any ideas on what could be or what i need to do, also how do they do a compression test.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:20 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Flashing red light. Isn't that the lightning bolt for the Throttlebody? I believe some 2006 models had recalls on them, especially up in Canada or where it's cold out.

Dealers aren't real mechanics IMO. They stick to the electronic devices that point where to go next as they have no real mechanical diagnose abilities. Not saying all are like this, but it's very hard to find one's that are diagnose material. Dealers love to play the guess and check game at the owners expense.

Quick Reply: Starting Problem