3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4.7 top end Rebuild Need input on what is best

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 10:00 PM
asasial
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.7 top end Rebuild Need input on what is best

New to the forum. I have an 02 1500 Quad Cab 4WD 4.7 auto.
Bought the truck with 92,000 miles the first head gasket blew at 102,000 then at 110,000 and again at 114,000, the heads were resurfaced, then bought another set and had them resurfaced. they only completely blew the first time. the other times when it was loosing a gallon of coolant every other day i knew where it was going.
We are basically stuck with the truck as the payoff is more than anyone will ever give for it, so i am going to try one more time to rebuild the top end with the best components i can find. this is were you come in. i need input as to what is the best to go with.
Here is what i have so far.
ARP Head STUDS
Cometic Head Gaskets
new Water and Oil pump
have the heads machined
have radiator cleaned professionally i have flushed the hell outta it, or possible replace it.

Should i also have the block resurfaced? i checked it when i had the heads off could not find any flaws, defects, warpage, but this was done by visual inspection and strait edge with the engine still in the truck.

I work as a Fleet mechanic, so the mechanical portion is no problem.
I want this truck to be something it has not been since I've owned it... DEPENDABLE!!! I'm not worried about high performance or getting any more power out of it i just want to be able to drive it. any advice and input would be great, as i am sick of changing head gaskets every time I change the oil.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:13 PM
zbiggboy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes resurface the block as well.

Quick Reply: 4.7 top end Rebuild Need input on what is best