3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

steering clunk at full turn

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 02:05 PM
L6POWER
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE:

Unfortunately, when it comes to toys, you have to pay to play.... The cost of the steering box in my opinion is a small price to pay for the security of knowing that your clunk is gone and the peace of mind that the part is in sound condition. The price may vary by state, I don't know, I've never bought one in any other state but good ole' tax free Delaware and as far as DIY goes, it's a tough job because of the fact that the pitman arm requires a special puller. The pitman arm is pressed on the sector shaft with some serious torque because after all, the last thing you need it to have the pitman arm come off or break while heading down the highway at 55 mph or faster which would result in a complete loss of steering obviously so in other words, it takes some elbow grease and a pitman arm puller which can be rented from Autozone for like 15 bucks which you'll get back when you bring the tool back. Other than that, it's just basic bolts that secure the box to the frame and power steering lines that need to be disconnected and then reconnected and the fluid topped off. On a scale of 1-10, 1 being easy like a set of brakes or an oil change and a 10 being a complete engine or transmission overhaul, I would put this job at a 4 or 5 max and of course that's open for debate with anyone. Someone may see this as the toughest job of all time, another guy may say I'm an idiot for suggesting that it's even moderately difficult, just my 2 cents.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:14 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok. Yea I understand the whole pay now and save later but unfortunately being a college student I don't really have the pay now option or else I would have gone out and done it right when you suggested it. I might just go pay for a diagnostic just so I can be 100% on what the problem is. Since there was more than one answer to my question.

Quick Reply: steering clunk at full turn