3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4.7L Weird Sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 09:50 AM
team_realtree
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.7L Weird Sound

Hi guys another question I have about my 06 1500 truck.

Sometimes but not all the time- when I first move my truck after I start it cold the engine is VERY loud. It sounds almost like a really loud fan, not the same as when its warm and I accelerate. I`m not talking about putting it to the floor cold either just as soon as I give it some gas. As soon as I get speed and it warms up it goes.

I have had this truck for about 6 months and it`s always done it I just wanted to make sure it wasnt a cause for concern.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:13 PM
Flying Mullet
Rookie

I think you are talking about the 4.7 lifter slap noise. Goes away after after a minute or two, right? I think it goes away once the oil pressure builds, but I could be wrong.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:46 PM
extremis
Professional

That loud roaring is in fact the engine cooling fan. It is a clutch fan, that engages based on temperature. The clutch is full of oil, and when you first start when its cold it has to spin a bit to loosen up and get the oil inside flowing, warmed and working right. Once the fan spins a bit and the engine warms a bit it works as intended. Every Dodge/Jeep product I have had recently has done that (03 Liberty, 05 Dakota, 04 1500, 07 2500). Nothing to worry about.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:27 PM
team_realtree
Professional

Originally Posted by extremis
That loud roaring is in fact the engine cooling fan. It is a clutch fan, that engages based on temperature. The clutch is full of oil, and when you first start when its cold it has to spin a bit to loosen up and get the oil inside flowing, warmed and working right. Once the fan spins a bit and the engine warms a bit it works as intended. Every Dodge/Jeep product I have had recently has done that (03 Liberty, 05 Dakota, 04 1500, 07 2500). Nothing to worry about.
Thanks for the replies. I ran a google search after I read your reply and came up with this:

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...ad.php?t=79325

I`m pretty sure this is the same problem they are describing. Hopefully you are right and they aren't. I don`t want to take the fan right off.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:09 PM
Flying Mullet
Rookie

Never heard of that before, glad I did the efan install a while ago and didn't have to deal with it.

Quick Reply: 4.7L Weird Sound