3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Adding USB power ports

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 06:06 PM
bloodstain
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding USB power ports

So I am going to attempt to retro fit a 4 port USB hub into my overhead computer console. I found the 4 port hub I want to use and it will fit perfectly. My question is on supplying the power. Will I be able to tap into power from the overhead console or Should I run all the way to under the hood with a dedicated power line? I really want This to be powered by Acc hence why I thought it would be easier to tap into the console power. PRO's and Cons? Thanks.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:28 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just make sure you fuse it. What voltage does the hub need?

Old 09-29-2011, 12:30 AM
CMA
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They make adapters that plug into the lighter 12V and convert to power USB devices. 5$ on ebay.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:49 PM
bloodstain
Rookie

Originally Posted by CMA
They make adapters that plug into the lighter 12V and convert to power USB devices. 5$ on ebay.
That's what I am using, only I am not using a cig lighter cord, I plan on cutting that end off and hard wiring to 12 volt power source. The hub itself will be integrated into the overhead console. If i tapped into power from the overhead console I would be utilizing the fuse from it, but if I run all new wiring I would definitely put in an inline fuse. Just don't want to overload the stock wiring, the hub converts the output to .5 volts so i don't think that should hurt anything?

Old 09-29-2011, 03:41 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

You can use the lower left cigar socket as that is rated and wired for 20A circuit. It's supplied by the ign so power goes off when the key turns off.
As long as the hub lowers the 12v-14v power supplied by the circuit to 5volts that the USB runs off of, then you'll be fine. I have my radio ran off that because I never use anything in the socket. USB devices are low current draining anyways, so no biggie.;

Old 09-30-2011, 12:39 AM
OklaHemi
Champion

what is the benefit of running your radio off the cig power rich?

Old 09-30-2011, 12:56 PM
bloodstain
Rookie

Originally Posted by dirtydog
You can use the lower left cigar socket as that is rated and wired for 20A circuit. It's supplied by the ign so power goes off when the key turns off.
As long as the hub lowers the 12v-14v power supplied by the circuit to 5volts that the USB runs off of, then you'll be fine. I have my radio ran off that because I never use anything in the socket. USB devices are low current draining anyways, so no biggie.;
I am all ready utilizing that source for my Garmin GPS lol. maybe i will see what kind of load it puts out. if it isnt to big i guess I could run off of it.

Originally Posted by OklaHemi
I assume he has an aftermarket head unit, And you need an acc power source for it. Stock radio plug doesn't have acc input, or so ive heard.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:53 PM
Dave M
Rookie

I was thinking of something the other day. I have one of those converters that plugs into lighter. it has one usb input and an outlet on it. It fit perfectly into the little storage compartment under the radio. I was thinking of taking the lighter plug off of it and hard wiring it in by drilling out a hole in back of compatment. would it be better for you to do something like that? That way you wouldn't have the wires hanging down from the overhead consule.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:21 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OklaHemi
Just what Bloodstain stated. I have an aftermarket Navigation unit and the closest acc on it's own fuse not controlled by canbus was the cigar outlet. It's fused at 20A which allows me to run all my relays off of. I use relays to control my remote wires for my amplifiers because connecting more than one device to the radio remote wire can be problematic, though I never had a problem before, I did with my current set-up because I have 4 electronic devices being turned on by the radio's remote wire.

I currently have a sound processor(which has a 20A fuse by itself), my radio(10A fuse), and 3 relays all running off the cigar lighter and have never had a problem.

Dave M,
Be careful with those inverters as they are current sucking devices even when you only need 5volts. Most Inverters are only 60-70% efficient. So, there's about 40% wasted energy all the time, even when the unit is powered up. Most people don't realize this. I'd make darn sure it's connected to ACC power or it'll kill your battery in no time.

Last edited by dirtydog; 10-01-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:32 PM
bloodstain
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dave M
I was thinking of something the other day. I have one of those converters that plugs into lighter. it has one usb input and an outlet on it. It fit perfectly into the little storage compartment under the radio. I was thinking of taking the lighter plug off of it and hard wiring it in by drilling out a hole in back of compatment. would it be better for you to do something like that? That way you wouldn't have the wires hanging down from the overhead consule.
I wont have wires hanging down, I have devices that are up overhead, thats why i want the usb ports there. tempted to put one in the center console also but dont know if theres and prewiring there or not. it has a dummy plug but dont think theres wiring.

Quick Reply: Adding USB power ports