3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

LED Brake light

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 07:28 PM
Manvin
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED Brake light

Hey guys. So i just got in my LED 3rd eye brake light(others to follow). I installed it yesterday. when i hit the brake pedal, nothing happend. so I fooled around, and i found out that my fuse was blown. so i replaced it, and it blew the other fuse. I thought that LED's use less power. any clue how i could fix this so it works?

thanks for the help.

Adam

Old 09-28-2011, 09:30 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You likely have a pinched wire somewhere. LEDs most definitely draw less current than incandescents.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:23 AM
Manvin
Amateur

alright I'll check that out. Thanks

Old 10-02-2011, 09:44 PM
Manvin
Amateur

So I looked around, and i cannot find a pinched wire. I really don't want to go to a shop and get it looked at.. plus, im planning on putting in new Projector headlights and i do not want an issue with them.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Caseys-dodge
Veteran

Have you tried putting the original brake light assembly back in to verify that the wiring is ok and that everything operates normally with the stock lights? If so, it could be a defective LED brake light assembly.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:55 PM
Manvin
Amateur

Yea, everything works fine... this is a **** off, because everytime i call them or email them i get no response.. thank you

Old 10-02-2011, 10:22 PM
Caseys-dodge
Veteran

There's nothing worse than bad customer service I wonder if the connector on the LED light was just wired incorrectly for your truck? I don't know how to diagnose / test LED assemblies tho. My multimeter has a diode test function on it but I've never used it. If you have a multimeter tho maybe you could at least play around with it and check for shorts in the LED light, maybe even grab a small 9volt battery and some spare jumper wire and play with the connectors to see if you can get the LEDs to light up (I'm almost positive than even a 9v battery will power up the 12v LED lights)
If nothing else hopefully you'll hear back from that company and get a replacement or refund.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Manvin
Amateur

Thanks for the idea. I'm going to fool around with it on my day off. this will work.. im not going to give up.. its just stupid. it is supposed to be plug and play.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:41 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 9 volt battery should be enough to tickle the LEDs. Remember, they're polarity sensitive, so if they don't light with the first hook up, swap your battery leads. It's been so long, I forget how many leads there are in the connector. Seems like there are four - hot and ground for the brake light, hot and ground for the cargo light.

Quick Reply: LED Brake light