3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2ndgen member buying a 3rd gen, help

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 12:22 PM
tatitup8
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2ndgen member buying a 3rd gen, help

so i was at a gas station, and an off duty cop offered me 7500 cash for my truck and said he'd do it TODAY. lol i saved his number so i could go ahead and look for any other good deals.. heres one that i found.. tell me what you think..

http://easttexas.craigslist.org/cto/2552636179.html

things wrong: freaking 4.7 (doesnt have much power)... heater core, latch to release hood (exterior). some bar from the shifter of 4wd to the transfer case broke. and having manual locks/windows...(pet peeve)

so have any of you done the heater core? if so how hard or long does it take? i know the heater core for the 2nd gen is a PITA.. not sure how similar 3rd gen is...

any cheaper power mods? being a 4.7 tryin to turn 35's isnt too easy..

guessing latch to the hood i can get at a junk yard or something..
same with the bar i guess? not 100% positive which bar it is...

and have any of you transfered to power windows? i recently did on my 2nd gen and it was a PITA..

ive got this guy down to $7000, can prolly get him to 6500 hopefully.. and i don't wanna spend more than around 2k on replacing parts and getting it all good...

what do you guys think?

Old 10-02-2011, 01:34 PM
Lucius
Amateur

I have a 4.7 running 35s and it did struggle a little to turn them until I put a 4.56 in the rear end. Its like driving a stock truck on little tires. The 4.7 has plenty of power, it just depends on what you are using it for. Sure the hemi has more power, but I wouldn't say that the 4.7 is a weak engine by any means.

My heater core went out in my truck and had to have it replaced. Like the 2nd generations it is a pita. I cannot comment on the 4wd pieces because mine is just 2wd.

It is whatever you want to do and I am sure some others can chime in here.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:19 PM
tatitup8
Veteran

Originally Posted by Lucius
I have a 4.7 running 35s and it did struggle a little to turn them until I put a 4.56 in the rear end. Its like driving a stock truck on little tires. The 4.7 has plenty of power, it just depends on what you are using it for. Sure the hemi has more power, but I wouldn't say that the 4.7 is a weak engine by any means.

My heater core went out in my truck and had to have it replaced. Like the 2nd generations it is a pita. I cannot comment on the 4wd pieces because mine is just 2wd.

It is whatever you want to do and I am sure some others can chime in here.
thanks for replying. im used to the 2nd gen forums where 10 people reply in 10 minutes. lol but yeah i test drove it and thought if i put some gears in, itd wake it up.. how much did it cost you to do the gears? and did you do the heater core yourself

Old 10-02-2011, 06:51 PM
Lucius
Amateur

The gears were a few hundred dollars and then I cannot remember the cost to install. I had them put in at the same time they replaced my heater core and my dash. When they took my dash apart it just crumbled into a hundred pieces. So my bill was pretty high to get it all fixed. I don't remember right off hand how much the labor for the gears were.

I think that 4.56's in the rear or a similar gearing are almost mandatory so you do not tear your engine and transmission up. I debated on those or 4.10s but I wanted something I knew would do the job. Plus when I drive on the highway I don't go over 80mph so losing some top end was no big deal to me.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:03 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Find you a Hemi, the 4.7 is a nice V8. It doesn't take to an overheat well at all (head gaskets at best, head cracks more common) and tends to sludge more than most, but if these are avioded, the engine is pretty much trouble free.

BUT, there is no advantage except maybe initial cost to having a 4.7. The Hemi makes WAY MORE POWER and gets at least as good MPGs as the 4.7 (and the MDS models tend to do better than the 4.7s).

Do a search, you'll find 92,478 threads from guys wanting to pull their 4.7s and drop in a Hemi (ok, maybe a slight exaggeration), but try to find ONE Hemi owner who asks about putting in a 4.7, I dare you...

Old 10-02-2011, 10:01 PM
tatitup8
Veteran

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Find you a Hemi, the 4.7 is a nice V8. It doesn't take to an overheat well at all (head gaskets at best, head cracks more common) and tends to sludge more than most, but if these are avioded, the engine is pretty much trouble free.

BUT, there is no advantage except maybe initial cost to having a 4.7. The Hemi makes WAY MORE POWER and gets at least as good MPGs as the 4.7 (and the MDS models tend to do better than the 4.7s).

Do a search, you'll find 92,478 threads from guys wanting to pull their 4.7s and drop in a Hemi (ok, maybe a slight exaggeration), but try to find ONE Hemi owner who asks about putting in a 4.7, I dare you...
oh i dont doubt the hemi, but im just trying to find something that is already slightly lifted and stuff so i don't have to do it.. my budget is 8k and i really want a dodge.. but chevy, gmc is fine.. if i were to get a 3rd gen ram.. what miles on the truck is considered "too high" ?

Quick Reply: 2ndgen member buying a 3rd gen, help