3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help, doesn't start!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 09:09 PM
ryno_05_1500hemi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, doesn't start!

ok , i have a 2005 dodge ram 1500 with the 5.7, and i went out to start it and all it did when i turned it over was click, not rapid clicks, jus one click and nothing. i would turn the key off and then try to turn it over and still one click. i noticed that the battery gauge was at almost half so i replaced it with a brand new battery and it is still reading jus under half voltage and still clicks once every time i turn the key over. Im thinkin either the alternator or the starter. Anybody know??? id appreciate any help

Attached Thumbnails Help, doesn't start!-img_20100906_123815.jpg  
Old 10-05-2011, 11:34 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to DF.

First, before anything else, please read this:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-ra...s-section.html

I will move this to the 3rd gen section for ya.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:09 AM
dylansav
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm leaning at the starter. I had a very similar problem with mine. I went under and hit the starter with a rubber mallet. Went to try it again, turned right over. I replaced it after my "diagnosis" though. A lot of the time the mallet trick won't work. My dad always told me to go under and put a wrench between the solenoids to make a connection for it to start and have someone turn the key....never tried that (don't recommend that either...lol).

Do you know how old the starter is?

Most auto part stores can test it for free for you. If you have another car to get to the store, just go under and take it off and bring it in. The starter isn't hard to get at or take off. There are a few How-to's on this forum with that info on it.

If it was the alt, you'd be able to start it..the battery would just eventually die on you.

Last edited by dylansav; 10-07-2011 at 10:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Help, doesn't start!