3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Body lift - Leveling kit - shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 09:10 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Logik287
I have a 04 1500 ram 4wd quad cab. Looking into getting a leveling kit myself I have airbags in the rear, so my front end sits a fair bit lower than my box. I just got some 17's with 285/70/17's that will be arriving next week.

Id like to get a little more front end clearance and even out the front end of my truck. Ive been told that a leveling kit will do it. I think i only need about 2", is it possible to do this in my own garage? I was told it would be about 200 for the kit and 200 for install at kal-tire. Then another shop said the only way to do it was to crank up my torsion bars, and it would be about 500 but would make the ride feel like ****.

If its possible to do own my own, what am i looking for? I hear ya talking abouta torsion key crank hammer, ill have a look into this as well. Thanks for any info you can depart on me. Never done a mod like this before so im a little curious which direction to go.
$500 to crank the torsion bars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Report them sumbiotches to the Better Business Bureau for GOUGING! NO parts needed and about 15 minutes topps to do if you have a vehicle lift (and about 30 minutes in the driveway with a jack!!!) What the hell is this world coming to?!?!?!

Here:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...-lift-diy.html

ANY leveling of a torsion front end, IFS truck does so by inserting force on the torsion bars. Be it by cranking the bolts on the existing keys or installing indexed keys for lifting the torsion bars - NO DIFFERENCE. Yes, this does firm up the front end, the higher you go, the firmer (stiffer) the ride becomes. Some love it - say it makes the truck feel like a truck. Some hate it as they like the "car-like" ride that an IFS front offers.

The ONLY way to lift the suspension without putting pressure on the torsion bars, increasing drive-line angles and stressing CVs, ball joints, u-joints and tie rods is by installing a full suspension lift which would start at about $1500 BEFORE LABOR. Labor would be ballpark $1000, or $8000 if your guy does it, LOL.

Can't have your cake and eat it too. You do a free crank or put in $100 lift keys (which that's what they sell for all-over - $200 for a "kit" is double the going rate), you can't expect it to do what a $2000 suspension lift does.

Do the crank, keep it at 2" AT THE MOST and you'll be fine. Just take it someplace reputable for an alignment after you get it done and get the tires on it you want...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 10-08-2011 at 09:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Body lift - Leveling kit - shocks?