3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Body lift - Leveling kit - shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 10:24 AM
BrentHamm
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body lift - Leveling kit - shocks?

Just got a 2004 Ram Sport. Putting new tires on it this week, 275/65R20 Duratracs.

I would like to lift the truck a bit, maybe 2 to 4 inches or. Would like to keep the ride quality as good as possible.

I am new to lifting and not sure which way to go. At first i was thinking body lift, then someone told me to get the leveling kit. Then someone else said i should be able to just get new shocks that do what i want.

Any help greatly appreciated!

I have read a bunch in the forums on this, but still not sure which way to go.

Thanks!

Old 10-07-2011, 10:36 AM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Basically, leveling it will get rid of the factory "rake" and give you more front clearance for tires but it may weaken some from end components. A body lift will do just as it says, lift the body up off the frame and essentially put a space inbetween the two and it will keep the "rake" unless combined with a leveling kit. The only shocks that could give you extra clearance are the rancho quick lifts and the bilstein leveling shocks. For a 34 inch tire like youre going for though you dont NEED any extra clearance really but it will help. If you want the extra clearance up front for the cheapest way, I would say get some 3 inch spindles and then longer shocks.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:50 AM
BrentHamm
Amateur

Ok, so something like this:

http://www.airbagit.com/product-p/x2-spi-dod-06.htm

And then shocks for both front and rear?

Old 10-07-2011, 11:42 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Shocks won't lift it at all. Level will be completely different depending on if this truck is a 4x4 or a 4x2.

Leveling is fine to clear slightly larger tires, but DON'T go more than 2" or you'll cause problems.

A mild level with body lift combo is a nice, inexpensive lift as long as you don't plan any hard off-roading...

Old 10-07-2011, 11:58 AM
BrentHamm
Amateur

Truck is a 4x4.

I really do not do any off roading. Do get alot of snow out here sometimes though!

Old 10-07-2011, 12:17 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

You don't need a leveling kit, just do a key bolt crank to bring it up 1 1/2 - 2", but DON'T go higher, the CV half shafts DON'T like high angles..

Do a search in the FAQ/DIY section if you don't know how to crank the key bolts.
And YES, you should get taller shocks for the front when doing this and YES you should get an alignment after doing this.

Keep an eye on them Duratracs, the Jeep guys love 'em, but they don't have a real strong sidewall. I've seen a LOT of sidewall failures with them on heavier 4x4, QC and especially diesel trucks...

Old 10-07-2011, 12:41 PM
BrentHamm
Amateur

Hmm.ok..i will research the key bolt crank.

Interesting on the Duratecs, i have heard alot of good reviews...hmm..another thing to look into. The other tire i was looking at is the Silent Armour in a 275/60R20

My truck is 5.7 hemi.

Last edited by BrentHamm; 10-07-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:00 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Read reviews by TRUCK owners. It was a popular tire in my hunting club based on the fact a lot of guys run Jeep Wranglers which are light. I'd say about 1/3 the guys in my club have had problems running them on full size trucks.

I've never had ANY luck with Goodyear ANYTHINGS in 4x4s and you'll find most on this forum who have run Goodyears don't have a lot of good things to say. I'm thinking those reviews are skewed a bit in favor of Goodyear and BF Goodrich since they spend more in advertising $ than all other tire makers combined. I've never had good luck with either, but then, I'm hard on tires...

Old 10-08-2011, 07:56 PM
Logik287
Amateur

I have a 04 1500 ram 4wd quad cab. Looking into getting a leveling kit myself I have airbags in the rear, so my front end sits a fair bit lower than my box. I just got some 17's with 285/70/17's that will be arriving next week.

Id like to get a little more front end clearance and even out the front end of my truck. Ive been told that a leveling kit will do it. I think i only need about 2", is it possible to do this in my own garage? I was told it would be about 200 for the kit and 200 for install at kal-tire. Then another shop said the only way to do it was to crank up my torsion bars, and it would be about 500 but would make the ride feel like ****.

If its possible to do own my own, what am i looking for? I hear ya talking abouta torsion key crank hammer, ill have a look into this as well. Thanks for any info you can depart on me. Never done a mod like this before so im a little curious which direction to go.

Last edited by Logik287; 10-08-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:03 PM
Boo Radley
Professional

Originally Posted by BrentHamm
Hmm.ok..i will research the key bolt crank.

Interesting on the Duratecs, i have heard alot of good reviews...hmm..another thing to look into. The other tire i was looking at is the Silent Armour in a 275/60R20

My truck is 5.7 hemi.
its pretty common nowledge that the duratracs have lots of documented issues on trucks. the silent armors have a better sidewall but not much of a truck tread. i've been mainly a truck mechanic since the day i got out of tech school and my favorite is the general grabber or for more road use only then the cooper zeons.

Originally Posted by Logik287
I have a 04 1500 ram 4wd quad cab. Looking into getting a leveling kit myself I have airbags in the rear, so my front end sits a fair bit lower than my box. I just got some 17's with 285/70/17's that will be arriving next week.

Id like to get a little more front end clearance and even out the front end of my truck. Ive been told that a leveling kit will do it. I think i only need about 2", is it possible to do this in my own garage? I was told it would be about 200 for the kit and 200 for install at kal-tire. Then another shop said the only way to do it was to crank up my torsion bars, and it would be about 500 but would make the ride feel like ****.

If its possible to do own my own, what am i looking for? I hear ya talking abouta torsion key crank hammer, ill have a look into this as well. Thanks for any info you can depart on me. Never done a mod like this before so im a little curious which direction to go.

wow i worked at a dealership where we charged top dollar and we charged $200 for a key crank with an alignment. these guys are crooks!

Last edited by Boo Radley; 10-08-2011 at 09:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Body lift - Leveling kit - shocks?