3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Beefing up the leaf springs

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Jacksplat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beefing up the leaf springs

Ram 1500 has 2.5 inch width at 63" bolt to bolt.. So I cant swap a set from a 2500 or 3500. Should I add 1 or 2 springs and which ones should I add ? Top ones [longest] or bottom ones [shortest]. Also, will I need to change the shocks ?

Any other tips would be appreciated.'

Thanks

Old 10-07-2011, 05:14 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Airbags. Easier and prob cheaper. They will ride better too both loaded and unloaded.

You can get two styles. Ones that attach to your leafspring and bolt or weld to your frame(Airlift style)...or one's that rest over the axle and u-clamp around your frame(Arnott/Hellwig style).
They range from $180-$300 depending on the brand name/style you choose.
Have had mine for going on 3 years now. Already been through 2 Northeast winters with no problems yet.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:28 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, I gotta second the air bags.

I've had "helper springs" in the past on two different trucks and they can be rather harsh and bounce the back end all over the place when NOT hauling or towing.

Bags ride 100% stock when unloaded and the bags are run low (like 5-10 psi), then when you haul, you add air to stiffen the ride.

I have the Air Lift Ride Controls (2000 lb. leveling capacity which is WAY more than you need on a 1500), which mount as 'Dog states, and I found this is the ONLY mounting style that works with a lift, be it suspension of body.

The heavier Air Lifts (5000 lb) mount just like the Firestones, Arnott, etc. and require fabrication to work with a lift...

Quick Reply: Beefing up the leaf springs