3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

05 QD cab, Hemi 4x4 need 1 or 2" lift.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 06:17 AM
dtlowry
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 QD cab, Hemi 4x4 need 1 or 2" lift.

My first truck. Does anyone know how I can lift my 05 1500 ram in the front 1 or 2 inches? There are no springs on the front like the previous years, so you cant use coil spacers! I know people are getting it done with 1 and 2 inches but I dont know what or how they do it. I stopped into a few local dealers and they only offer up a 4" or 6" lift for this truck. One of the Tire Dealers told me you could adjust the ?? "V" shaped supension that is up front on both sides to get an inch or so but it is not recommended because you have to be precise so it is balanced on both sides. They wouldn't perform the work he said. I asked someone I saw with 33's on his 05 1500 and he said he had a 1 inch lift and got it at the popular local tire dealer that everyone goes to for lifts around the Seattle area. Its the same franchise that I have stopped in and talked to at a few locations and they offer up no solution for me to level or lift my truck just an inch or two?? Also, I am interested in lifting the rear but overall I want it level and no more than 2" front and back. Please help if you have any solutions. I really don't want a 4" lift, just an inexpensive, not worry about wear and tear, 1 or 2 " lift so I can slap some bigger tires on and look better. I'm not going to go 4x4 and jam some rocks up my $30,000 truck and take $2,000 to fix it the next day and the following week and so on, I'm not in to that. I would rather spend the money on GAS! Thanks and God Bless.

Old 07-25-2005, 06:25 AM
dtlowry
Default RE: 05 QD cab, Hemi 4x4 need 1 or 2" lift.

Sorry, I really don't know what you call the "V" shaped suspension in the front on the 05 1500 Ram that replaces the coil springs. So, if anyone knows the answere to that, please let me know. And, not to offend all the Offroaders, I like offroading I just don't have the money to fix stuff like that. I spend it on fixing my motorcycle and buying GAS!

Old 07-25-2005, 03:53 PM
AbramsM1

I have never looked under the front suspension of an IFS Ram, however being the former owner of a Ford F-150 I believe it is the same basic setup. Not sure what the "V" is, but you have torsion bars that replace your springs. These torsion bars can be ajusted at the rear of the bar by turning the adjusting bolt. You can also get (not sure where for the Ram) reclocking keys that replace the factory torsion bar index keys. I remember hearing somewhere that you should never go over 1"-1 1/2" because it gets really harsh on your CV shafts. The rear can be lifted with either an additional leaf spring (add-a-leaf) or a taller block between the spring and axle (not recommended due to axlewrap issues) either of which is cheap.

Regards,
Abrams

Old 07-25-2005, 04:02 PM
tommiwan
Professional

Ya, you should have torsion bars and if you adjust the bolt it will raise the front end. I have heard a ton of debate back and forth as to how hard this is on the truck, but I think I am going to go ahead and do it. All you have to do is raise the truck, turn the bolts (I think 4-5 times is average) and then take it to get aligned. You should also need longer shocks, otherwise your current ones will top out. I think the shocks from a 2000 1500 off road edition work.

If you want more info send me a PM and I will tell you where I got all my info (don't want to link to another site in case mods might get mad).

Old 07-26-2005, 04:39 AM
muddauber5.7
Professional

Hello, I have a 2003 1500 4x4 and cranked my torsion bar bolts 4 turns each over 15 thousand miles ago and have had no problems. my truck is driven mostly on road with a little lite off roading,and with the bars cranked it raised my front end 1 and a half inches. I have kept the stock shocks on with no topping out,cause I'm not thrashing it off road. If your going to do excessive off roading or crank your bars 5 or 6 times then you will definately need diff. shocks like the 2000 off road shocks that came stock,or aftermarket like Blisteins,or Rancho's. But if your useing your truck manly for road use I don't think turning your torsion bars will hurt. I've heard of many Chevy guys that crank theirs also. If you need an explanation of how to crank your bars theres a earlier thread in this forum explaning it or I gladly tell you how!

Old 07-26-2005, 04:43 AM
muddauber5.7
Professional

Hello, I have a 2003 1500 4x4 and cranked my torsion bar bolts 4 turns each over 15 thousand miles ago and have had no problems. my truck is driven mostly on road with a little lite off roading,and with the bars cranked it raised my front end 1 and a half inches. I have kept the stock shocks on with no topping out,cause I'm not thrashing it off road. If your going to do excessive off roading or crank your bars 5 or 6 times then you will definately need diff. shocks like the 2000 off road shocks that came stock,or aftermarket like Blisteins,or Rancho's. But if your useing your truck manly for road use I don't think turning your torsion bars will hurt. I've heard of many Chevy guys that crank theirs also. If you need an explanation of how to crank your bars theres a earlier thread in this forum explaning it or I gladly tell you how!

Old 07-26-2005, 04:45 AM
muddauber5.7
Professional

oops sorry double posted![sm=chairshot.gif]

Old 07-27-2005, 02:09 AM
dtlowry

Yes, torsion bars thats what they are. Thanks for the info, I will probably do 4 and half turns and live with that until the truck gets a little older and then put a 4" lift on it.

Quick Reply: 05 QD cab, Hemi 4x4 need 1 or 2" lift.