3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

need help with my 08 2500

Old 10-13-2011, 07:28 PM
joelbouch
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with my 08 2500

hey guys hopefully you can help me out ive got numerious issue with my ram and its driving me to the drink so here goes nothing.

1. my steering is sloppy i got play in my wheel its a big dead spot about 2inches i have repalced entire front end all new moog ball joints and tie rods and u joints i have replaced the gear box this is my third one i have adjusted it to but still is loosey goosey.
ive looked into an aftermarket brace for frame flex but i live in the northeast so i have a plow frame on this truck so the rails are tied togther. any ideas or fixes

2 i hear everone saying should replace egr valves and pcv valves on the hemi well i cant find the pcv and my autopart store looked like i head ten heads so what should i be looking and will this bring back my performance.

thats it for now i have just found a fix for my mod door 2 so i can get floor heat back

no just gotta fix my heated mirrors as the drivers side dosnt work

thanks guys for the help.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:33 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Only fix I know that works for both DW and sloppy steering is the steering box brace, unfortunately.

You don't have EGR on a 2500, don't have to conform to the same emission standards that a 1/2 ton has to...

Old 10-14-2011, 06:41 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, that steering brace can help greatly, but usually more-so at overcoming added forces of larger tires. What size/brand tires do you have? Death wobble can occur from a simply out of balance tire, or if the tires are improperly inflated.

Also, the steering box brace does more than just tie the frame rails together; it also secures the bottom portion of the box into the brace... something your plow bracket does not accomplish.

And what brand of gear box did you replace the stocker with? Just a re-manufactured unit? If so, those can be just as bad as the one you took off.

Have someone saw the steering wheel back and forth while you lay under the truck and investigate. Look for play in all areas... even at the replacement parts.... just cause they are new doesn't mean they cant already be shot. Is there a large amount of play in the gear box itself (shaft turns much more than the pitman arm)?

Good luck man... sloppy steering SUCKS! And it can be even worse trying to find the cure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need help with my 08 2500