3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

header question

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 05:21 PM
mikh338636
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default header question

hey guys
so i want to do headers and a custom 3 inch exaust with a hooker aero chamber muffler dumped under the rear door like i have now. now im only thinking about doing this because i found some decent headers at a cheap price. i found the gibson GP309 shorty headers for my 4.7. They are only $253 which is pretty cheap. I just want to make sure these will fit before i spend my money on them. I will be doing all welding on this exaust I will be buying everything from summit probably and fabricating it myself. Now my other question will be connecting a y pipe to these gibson headers. the headers have flanges on them and the magnaflow y pipe everyone uses has no flanges. so would it be best if i cut the flanges off my stock y pipe and welded them to the magnaflow y pipe and continue from there into the muffler and what not? thanks a lot guys looking forward to your input!! and if anyone has done something similar lets see some pics to get me motivated!!

Old 10-15-2011, 06:04 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Subscribed. I was wondering the same for when I eventually do headers. LTs though.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:55 PM
Chris_03_Hemi_4X4
Rookie

Option 1 purchase some universal flanges and weld them up.
Option 2 is you can do a slip fit band coupler after cutting the flanges off.

My preference would be option 1 as if you can weld very good you can give a professional appearance.

Chris

Old 10-16-2011, 01:52 AM
scwpd
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shorties or long tube your not gonna be able to hook the y pipe right up to them your gonna have to have some sort of pipe and bends to the y and the idea above #1 would be best incase you ever need to take them off

Old 10-16-2011, 07:34 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

First off I wouldn't do shorties, the gains just don't justify all the work. Now long tubes I don't think are an option for you in NY, as they'll not pass inspection, but Mids should be fine and give better gains than shorties.

ANY headers I've ever installed have come with a separate piece that go from a flanged end to a standard pipe end.

I went long tubes because I don't have to mess with inspections. Had a local shop fab me up a "Y" pipe. It's ok, a LOT more free flowing than the factory one but still not as good as the Maggy, nor is it stainless. One of these days when I have another reason to go messing with my exhaust I'm gonna cut that pipe off and weld a Maggy in.
I bought stainless headers and had a local shop apply a ceramic coating, inside and out. DO NOT CHEAP OUT and buy uncoated headers, get the ceramic coat. It helps with engine temps, scavenging AND you won't be buying and installing another set in 2-3 years...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 10-16-2011 at 07:39 AM.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:29 AM
mikh338636
Rookie

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
First off I wouldn't do shorties, the gains just don't justify all the work. Now long tubes I don't think are an option for you in NY, as they'll not pass inspection, but Mids should be fine and give better gains than shorties.

ANY headers I've ever installed have come with a separate piece that go from a flanged end to a standard pipe end.

I went long tubes because I don't have to mess with inspections. Had a local shop fab me up a "Y" pipe. It's ok, a LOT more free flowing than the factory one but still not as good as the Maggy, nor is it stainless. One of these days when I have another reason to go messing with my exhaust I'm gonna cut that pipe off and weld a Maggy in.
I bought stainless headers and had a local shop apply a ceramic coating, inside and out. DO NOT CHEAP OUT and buy uncoated headers, get the ceramic coat. It helps with engine temps, scavenging AND you won't be buying and installing another set in 2-3 years...

i had doug thorley lt's and y pipe on my old jeep, i absolutely loved them. i guess im just going to say screw it keep it as it is and not bother wasting my money on shortys since they dont make lt's for the 4.7. thanks for the info and help!!

Old 10-16-2011, 12:11 PM
icywhite
Rookie

to hammer first off they do not make anything but shortys for the 4.7 unless you have something custom make and spend a *** load of cash.

mikh i say go for it. it will make a little more power and tq. but if your planning on adding things later on to the truck it will only help because it will help it breath better then the stock crappy manifold.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:33 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Hammer, LT's will pass inspection in NY. For NY, inspection stations hook up the DMV cable to the OBD-II plug and as long as there are no fault codes. I'm in Albany, Ny as well and never had a problem. Just dont go to a Quick lube for an inspection and you'd be all set. Those places are a joke.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:08 PM
Lifttruck
Rookie

Originally Posted by scwpd
Shorties or long tube your not gonna be able to hook the y pipe right up to them your gonna have to have some sort of pipe and bends to the y and the idea above #1 would be best incase you ever need to take them off
In my case with my '02 Ram 1500 5.9 gas the Gibson shorties bolted right up to the stock "Y" pipe. The flange on the header is a socket fit exactly like the stock manifolds. The GP 301's appear to have the same type of outlet as the 309's on my '02 with the 5.9. I have no experience using the headers with an aftermarket/performance "Y" pipe/cat assymbly though. HTH

Last edited by Lifttruck; 10-19-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:47 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Hammer, LT's will pass inspection in NY. For NY, inspection stations hook up the DMV cable to the OBD-II plug and as long as there are no fault codes. I'm in Albany, Ny as well and never had a problem. Just dont go to a Quick lube for an inspection and you'd be all set. Those places are a joke.
hell, I have a cousin downstate from you in Wallkill, NY who failed last fall just for having cut-outs even though they were closed and he had no CELs. Failed visual because he had the POTENTIAL to open them and by-pass the cats. He spent like $700 on the setup and four months later had to spend $400 to have them removed.

I would figure long tubes would be a sure fail since they require either deleting or moving the cats from the stock location. I know CARB states if they are even moved from the stock location - FAIL...

Quick Reply: header question