3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 09:22 PM
fuddwinkle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel leak

I have a 2005 ram 1500 4x4 that has a pretty bad fuel leak. It is leaking where the fuel line quick connects at the fuel pump assembly. Do they make quick connect fittings that i can cut the line and attach? Or do i have to purchase the whole line and fittings? Anybody else have a leak like this? I believe the fitting is what is leaking. When i started the truck i could see it squirting at this location. Looks like dealer has the monopoly on this part. Any help would be much appreciated for the NEW GUY! Thanks

Old 10-19-2011, 07:17 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome to DF.

First, before anything else, please read this:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-ra...s-section.html

I will move this to the 3rd gen section for ya.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:54 PM
fuddwinkle

the link comes up empty. no responses.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:26 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

you should post some pics of exactly where it is leaking

Old 10-25-2011, 05:04 PM
fuddwinkle

I changed the whole fuel line out that plugs into the fuel pump assembly thinking it was the end fitting leaking at the fuel pump assembly. $41 dollars later, its not the fuel line end fitting. It can only now be the fuel pump assembly fitting that the line plugs in to. If its not, only a expensive $132 lesson to learn. Can't get a good enough picture to post due to location. When i drop the tank to put part in i will take a picture.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:46 PM
erichard78

I had a leak at the top of my tank on my 2004 Ram 1500. Turned out where the metal ring that is imbedded in the plastic tank corroded causing the crack. My mechanic tried getting a new fuel tank but was told they are on back order. I am number 46 in my area and some have been waiting 6 weeks already. I have a Chrysler/Mopar distribution center in my town and they cant get them. My mechanic thinks there is a design flaw and it is being fixed before they make more tanks.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:52 AM
fuddwinkle

After changing out fuel line(not the problem), I determined that it had to be the fuel pump. I changed that out and havent seen any fuel leaking. YES! but NO Now i have a check engine light that has now come on. When i dropped the tank I tweeked the vapor line a little. It wasnt completely pinched but I think it might be the culpret. Checked gas cap and other line fittings. After changing fuel pump and putting things back together, i didnt have a check engine light. It was 3 or 4 days later that the light came on. I hate to spend another $50 on a vapor line and that not be the problem. I checked the code and it has to do with the fuel system. I would love to narrow it down, but not quite sure how? Thanks

dave t

Old 07-21-2012, 03:29 AM
azBowHunter

I am presently experiencing a similar issue on my '05 1500. There is a SPRAYING leak where the quick connect meets up with the fuel pump.

I removed the line and inspected everything. From my limited vantage, everything looked ok.

I would hate to buy a fuel pump as an attempt of troubleshooting. How do you think that replacing your pump fixed the problem? Is it an internal pressure regulator thing perhaps???

Old 07-26-2012, 05:07 PM
fuddwinkle

I think there maybe was a small split in the fuel pump assembly nipple/nozzle, fuel line plugs into. Fuel leak fixed. Now a $50 lesson to see if vapor line is causing check engine light to come on. I got a new fuel pump off of eBay for $132. So far so good. Be careful if you drop tank to not kink vapor line.

Quick Reply: Fuel leak