3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Newbie hear with a question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011 | 08:20 AM
Owensue
Veteran

It is odd for both carriers to go at the same time.
Do you have any issue with the front park lamps or just the rear?
The same relay is used for all park lamps.

The output harness on the fuse box could be an issue. Remove, clean and inspect all of them.

Use a voltmeter to check at the harness as Casey has provided the pinouts. Then you will know if the carriers are bad.

Old 11-02-2011 | 10:39 AM
CarlosC.
|
Amateur

OK fella's, I purchased a new relays for the fuse box and that didn't help either, so I took it to the dealership.

They said I needed a new "Junction Box" also called a PDC, and I also needed a new Front control module........Total out of pocket, they are asking for - $1130.00

and that's not a typo fella's........

Can this be right? that much for operable tail lights.............Seeking guidance here, because I don't have that kind of money......

Old 11-02-2011 | 07:57 PM
CarlosC.
|
Amateur

I think this price is out of the park.....I'm I wrong?

Old 11-03-2011 | 10:53 PM
Caseys-dodge
Veteran

Well, as stated before in many posts, a lot of the fuse boxes (the PDC) are prone to failure due to corrosion. It's the tiny little wire traces inside that go bad. I think those go for around $400-$500 and are kinda hard to find new besides the dealer. I wonder why your dealer said you'd need a new FCM as well???? maybe just trying to get extra money from you. Dealerships are notorious for selling lots of parts before they actually know which one is bad. If your good with electronics, check out that link I posted earlier and see if you can fix it yourself...

I saw your questions in that other thread about the PDC and figured I answer them here for you.
I partially removed my PDC before when I replaced my condenser fan. I think there are 2, maybe 3 screws and bolts that you remove, then the entire fuse box slides towards the passenger side about an inch or less, and then you can raise it up. One the bottom side there are about 7 big connector plugs, which are a PITA to remove because they get brittle and stick, but I think they just had swinging lever that you loosen as you wiggle the plug out.

Last edited by Caseys-dodge; 11-03-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 11-04-2011 | 01:04 AM
Owensue
Veteran

I agree on the pdc but save the $$ on the front controller, only replace it AFTER trying the pdc. I bought one through a scrapyard cheap, it was recently replaced, lucky me.

I still have my old one, has the parking light issue, I just bypassed the circuits, replaced it after about a year before I bought a tranny just to be sure I needed the tranny.

Read this thread https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ght-issue.html and specifically post #9 regarding a test you can do.
Post# 6 links to another thread with a diagram I did up on how to 'get by' until you replace the pdc (450$ new at dealer, 15 minutes to change yourself).

Good luck

Last edited by Owensue; 11-04-2011 at 01:18 AM.
Old 11-05-2011 | 12:04 AM
CarlosC.
|
Amateur

I want to thank Owensue / Caseys-dodge and everyone else for their input..It has been most helpful.

Old 11-05-2011 | 11:25 PM
Caseys-dodge
Veteran

That's why we are all here

Quick Reply: Newbie hear with a question.