3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Took Valve Cover Off - Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 09:49 PM
lauderdalemike
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Took Valve Cover Off - Need advice.

Hey guys I pulled my valve cover today to check to see how my motor was looking on the inside. With all of this 4.7L sludge talk I got paranoid. Didn't see any actual sludge except for a little hard crap in the fill tube. Was wonder if the color of my valve train is normal and if the wear on the cam lobes ok? I've never really seen another healthy 4.7 with the valve covers off. I only use Mobile 1 5w30 Syn every 3000 miles w/ M1 filter.

2003 4.7L QC 75K Stock.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:33 AM
areinike
Veteran

Truck runs, good, right. I can't find anything wrong with it. Looks great to me. Cam wear looks right, nothing that I can tell, is out of the ordinary.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:16 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks good to me, too.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:05 PM
areinike
Veteran

I'm looking closer, I see a little bit of scoring on the front second lobe (front cylinder). Not unusual, especially since that area is more prone to debris from filling up the oil with the oil filler right there. I wouldn't worry about it, though.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:49 PM
Wanderer
Veteran
Thumbs up

Looks damm good to me. How many miles? I'm guessing 8 years old, 10 -15K a year.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:14 PM
lauderdalemike

Yeah she's got 72k on her and is a little over 8 years old. I was so happy to hear that it looks good under the valve cover. I kinda figured that since there was no actual debris or sludge that it was ok. Next oil change the pan it getting dropped just to make sure it's perfect down there. And areinike i think you are 100% right with the scoring and the fill tube being right there. There was some crap at the bottom. Not anymore By looking down the oil filler tube you would think that the engine was sludged with all the caked up dried brown oil coating on it, but after taking it apart I see there is no correlation between the two. The filler tube just sits there dry baking whatever is on it over time. Worth taking it off (only 4 little bolts) to clean it once a year. Thanks for your input everyone. Would love to see what other 4.7 owners valve trains look like for reference.

Quick Reply: Took Valve Cover Off - Need advice.