3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

crunching noise when taking right turn...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 12:11 AM
dylansav
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crunching noise when taking right turn...

Hey,

So, within the last day or so I have noticed a crunching sound coming from the right side when I take right turns (even a very wide right turn). The sound goes away after a few seconds of driving but I can feel the crunching in the cab. I don't think this crunching is a good thing.

I've done some investigating and jacked the truck up and had a buddy try to move the tire. No movement. So I hope its not the BJs.

Do you guys think it could be the bearings or maybe the tire rods? If its the bearings, would I have to replace the entire hub assembly (buddy said I should) or just the actual bearings itself.

I am leaning on the bearings and I've found a few on this site http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...1500&year=2004

I would really appreciate any help or advice with this.

Very respectfully,

DS

Old 11-08-2011, 02:28 AM
Caseys-dodge
Veteran

Rockauto.com has some good prices on the Timken hubs (I did mine last month). If it's a grinding noise that happens during a turn it usually is indicative of a bad hub. IMO it's probably better to replace the hub than just the bearing (if it can even be done with these hubs). Another thing to think about is if these are still your original hubs, you should replace both sides.

Also, if you've never ordered from rockauto and want a 5% discount code let me know.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:59 AM
Bigboytoys
Professional

I had the same noise, but coming from the left...Turned out to be the wheel bearings...They replaced both left and right at the same time (right was worn but not as bad) End result...noise is gone...

Quick Reply: crunching noise when taking right turn...