3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A/C Fan Blower Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 10:22 AM
cybermatrix
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Fan Blower Not Working

I'm hoping someone here will be able to point me in the right direction. The A/C fan motor will not blow in my 2004 1500 Hemi truck. One day riding down the road it just stop blowing air. Before it stop blowing I notice the lights on the left side of the controller were going dim. My thoughts was the led on that side went out.

I have replace the controller, all fuses & relays are good, everything turns on even the A/C compressor. I have connected the blower straight the battery and it works. The resistor is new also.

The new duel controller lights up on the right side but will not on the left side where the fan switch is located. Also there is not any power running to the plug of the blower or resistor.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:10 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some folks have found this to be the ignition switch.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:36 AM
cybermatrix

Now since the new A/C controls has been installed the lights on it will light up. Sometimes the left side or right side will light up. Or all will light up and there are times none of the lights will light up.

Could it be that enough power is not getting to it? If that is the case where would it be coming from?

Could you explain why the ignition switch would control if the fan blow or not?

Old 12-01-2011, 12:50 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by cybermatrix
Now since the new A/C controls has been installed the lights on it will light up. Sometimes the left side or right side will light up. Or all will light up and there are times none of the lights will light up.

Could it be that enough power is not getting to it? If that is the case where would it be coming from?

Could you explain why the ignition switch would control if the fan blow or not?
Because there is red 10ga wire on one of the first terminals on the ign switch that provides power to the fan ONLY when the key is on. Thus the reason why the key is off you have no power to that circuit.

And yes, as said above, lots of guys have found the issue to be the ign switch. Go to your local auto parts store and pick on up for cheap and swap it out

Old 01-07-2012, 04:49 AM
03whiteram
Professional

Other people have had the same problem. I am in the process of trying to get the overlay harness for the ignition wiring. For the 2002 model, there was a recall that involved getting an overlay harness with the correct size terminals for the wiring going to the blower motor. Since the blower motor is always hot, the wires/terminals tend to overheat in time and cause them to get loose.

I tried to get this issue solved before deploying, but they said no, so I ended that there since I did not want to consume my time over some wiring. My A/C blower motor still works. If it shuts off, my wife just moves the steering column up and down until it turns back on....

While I was home, I found this wire on the left side of the steering column right as it is inserted into the connector. Noticing that it was discolored, I turned the A/C on and messed with the wire. As luck would have it, the blower motor turned off and on when I moved the wire.

Now, again I am trying to get dodge to move this recall into '03 models, perhaps even in newer models. I have seen this to be a big problem in early 3G Rams. I will keep everyone posted on any new info I may recieve from Dodge.

BTW, I called the Dodge dealer in El Paso and asked about this issue. They confirmed my problem. But because the '03 wasn't included in the recall, I would have to pay for parts/labor. So I asked if I could by the part, their answer was "because it is a recall item, they cannot sell it to me"...

Old 01-07-2012, 08:23 PM
Wanderer
Veteran
Angry

Originally Posted by 03whiteram
Other people have had the same problem. I am in the process of trying to get the overlay harness for the ignition wiring. For the 2002 model, there was a recall that involved getting an overlay harness with the correct size terminals for the wiring going to the blower motor. Since the blower motor is always hot, the wires/terminals tend to overheat in time and cause them to get loose.

I tried to get this issue solved before deploying, but they said no, so I ended that there since I did not want to consume my time over some wiring. My A/C blower motor still works. If it shuts off, my wife just moves the steering column up and down until it turns back on....

While I was home, I found this wire on the left side of the steering column right as it is inserted into the connector. Noticing that it was discolored, I turned the A/C on and messed with the wire. As luck would have it, the blower motor turned off and on when I moved the wire.

Now, again I am trying to get dodge to move this recall into '03 models, perhaps even in newer models. I have seen this to be a big problem in early 3G Rams. I will keep everyone posted on any new info I may recieve from Dodge.

BTW, I called the Dodge dealer in El Paso and asked about this issue. They confirmed my problem. But because the '03 wasn't included in the recall, I would have to pay for parts/labor. So I asked if I could by the part, their answer was "because it is a recall item, they cannot sell it to me"...
Wait, something does not make sense. make sure i got this right.
1. Part was recalled on 2002 models
2. Dodge dealer stated that "03 wasn't included in the recall."
3. Have a part failure and wires discolored (my analysis, due to heat)
4. Dodge dealer in El Paso confirmed it is a known problem.
5. Cannot buy a repalcement part "because it is a recall item, they cannot sell it to me"...

I am not an attorney (am a CPA) but have been a risk manager. Chrysler/Fiat cannot have both ways. They know there is a safety related problem (over heated wiring), not issuing a recall, but one cannot obtain a repalcement part "because it is a recall item."

Go to your owners manual, find the Chrysler office for your region and explain what I layed out. If you do not get satisfaction, put it in writing, send it to regional office listed in your owners manual, copy Chrysler corporate, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration(NHTSA)and your states consumer affairs office(usually under the Attorney General's office).

Additionally troubling is the fact that Chrysler had to have an improved replacement part that was utilized in the 2002 recall, but refuses to sell it to you to resolve a safety issue. The manufacturer acknowledged it is a safey issue by agreeing with the Feds to accept a recall. If it was not a safety issue, the would have utilized less visable method, the most common is a TSB.

Thank you for your service. Since you do not have much time or resources to follow up on this problem, you send me a PM with the details, I will assist in putting together the coorespondence.

This type of problem pisses me off

Old 03-01-2013, 07:09 PM
Rex Cooper

Somebody please help. 2003 ram 1500 hemi motor. Blower motor works I can hear it working. Not getting any air out of my outlets ( defroster, vent or floorboard). Went for about 3 months with the floorboard outlet not working but all the other outlets produced air. Now getting very little air flow out of any outlet. Like I said motor turns on and off and can hear it sped up at different settings.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:11 PM
kenneymc
Veteran

Do a search. Sounds like your blend doors have broken or become disconnected. Common issue with some.

Quick Reply: A/C Fan Blower Not Working