3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

fog lamps

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 12:54 PM
bds540
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fog lamps

ok im sure this has been asked but i could not find it on here i have 2005 ram 2500 slt 4x4 want to install fog lights kit is 288.00 from the stealer question is will i have to pay them to turn them on via the computor or is my truck old enough i dont have to do that . any responces would be greatly appreciated

Old 11-23-2011, 01:18 PM
bigjrussell
Captain

It depends on what you have preinstalled. My truck is an 06 SLT that had the wire harness already laid out, which meant all I had to buy for my kit was the lamps themselves and the switch. It's been a few years, and the differences in our models could be huge or small, but finding out if your truck is already wired for it will make a huge difference in the price of your kit.

As for install, since mine was prewired, it was just plug and play with no trips to the dealer or anything like that.

You're gonna need to find out by looking up behind your bumper to see if there is a plug not being used near where the fog lamps themselves would install close to the bottom of your truck. My connection was on the drivers side fastened to the frame with push clips.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:41 PM
bds540

i see a plug up on the drivers side but not the passenger side so do i have to buy a harness to go over to passenger side or does that come in the kit? even then i will not know if it will work untill i hit the switch ? oh and thanks for the reply

Old 11-23-2011, 02:12 PM
bigjrussell
Captain

My kit came with the new switch, the 2 lamps (the hardware to mount them), and the harness to connect them together. When I was researching, there were 2 kits available: one for prewired guys, and one for guys with absolutely no preinstall from the factory.

Prewired guys got plug and play, the other guys had to pay more and jump though hoops to get them to work.

It is sort of a gamble, but if you're prewired and set to go like mine was, it was all just as simple as plug and play.

The hardest part of install was removing the stupid caps/vents that were in the bumper without breaking them to bits.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:44 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

50/50 as to whether the PCM is pre-programmed to run them or not...

Old 11-23-2011, 02:54 PM
bigjrussell
Captain

Hammer's right, it's still something you won't know until you get it all hooked up.

At least you do know that you don't need a FULL install kit. That'll save you some money up front, which will be helpful if you do end up having to get them "turned on."

Old 11-23-2011, 03:14 PM
Lifttruck
Rookie

My '02 was wired down to thethe bumper. There was a plug on the left side behind the bumper. I bought a kit that included the lights, mounting hardware, bezels, and generic wiring and switch from a Dodge dealer on Bay. I did have to buy the bumper harness from the local dealer and the OEM headlight switch w/fog from the local dealer. This being said after installation all I needed to do was plug in the fuse in the fuse panel under the hood. The fog lights worked without any chassis computer programming from the dealer.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:07 PM
bds540

well i orderd the kit guess ill see when it gets here thanks for all of the help and advice will keep posted on the results

Old 11-24-2011, 06:42 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think the PCM on a 2005, 2500 has to be messed with as it is the non canbus protocol. If you're already wired, you should only need the switch and the lights.

Personally,

I think I'd forego the inside switch, and just wire them in using relays and separate toggle.

That way you can run them whenever you want, otherwise they turn off when you energize the high beams.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:24 PM
bds540

well got them all in hit the switch and by damn there was light ! just have to make jumper to relay so fog lamps will stay on with high beams im not gonna pay the stealer a dime if i dont have to. thanks for all the advice and help to all who replied .

Quick Reply: fog lamps