3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New HEMI Camshaft

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 04:40 PM
GoManGo!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New HEMI Camshaft

I finally was able to catch up on some TV time this weekend and saw an episode on "Horse Power TV" that talked about a new camshaft for the new HEMIs. I went to their website (http://www.compcams.com/information/...ID=-2099658896) and found the following info:

New XFI™ 5.7 & 6.1 - Liter Hemi Camshafts
COMP Cams®’ new XFI™ (Xtreme Fuel Injection) camshafts for Hemi-powered Chrysler vehicles dramatically increase engine horsepower and torque, yet retain compatibility with all OEM vehicle computer systems. Available in three different profiles (XFI™ 260, 268 and 273), the new camshafts are uniquely engineered for street performance and towing applications.

In recent dyno tests performed on a Chrysler Hemi engine (outfitted with COMP’s #26918 Beehive™ valve springs and upgraded exhaust), the XFI™ 260 camshaft netted 20 additional ft pounds of peak torque in lower rpm ranges and 31 additional horsepower. Stepping up, the XFI™ 268 camshaft added 14 ft pounds of torque at low rpm and 47 additional peak horsepower. Amazingly, COMP’s XFI™ 273 camshaft yielded it’s most significant horsepower increase (over 4500 rpm) generating 61 horsepower more than the stock Hemi 5.7-Liter camshaft.

61hp at the rear wheels got my attention. Sounds like just making this change and adding some ceramic coated long tube headers and a high flow air filter will put you in the 450hp range making one hell of a sleeper.

Has anyone tried upgrading their "bumpstick" in the late model HEMIs?

Old 08-01-2005, 06:06 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker
Default RE: New HEMI Camshaft

I haven't heard of anyone over here using it as of yet, but I could be wrong. If you look over at the other Hemi site, there are a few that have it and with good luck. Hope this helps.

Old 08-01-2005, 06:33 PM
DonG
Veteran

Yea - If you don't get anything here, check around some of the other sights. I thought I read something about problems with throwing codes after the install. May have been something easily worked out though.

Old 08-01-2005, 07:05 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard a local guy had problems with the big cam. I heard this through a friend. Not real sure what the problems were, or if they were remedied.

Old 08-01-2005, 11:21 PM
GoManGo!

Sorry; Newbee here. What other HEMI site? (As I shield myself from the almost certian onslaught of head slaps)...

Old 08-02-2005, 01:37 AM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

try this one

Old 08-02-2005, 02:12 AM
Avanti
Captain

How often do you drive your truck at max rpms, unless at the dragstrip? Before making any decision may I humbly suggest you take a look at the complete dyno chart for the replacement cams and see what the actual torque curves look like?

It is no big deal to make top-end hp, but... at the cost of low- and mid-range torque.

Be very honest with yourself and your intended use, apart from bench-racing, before buying a replacement cam for any engine. Too much cam for the intended use is common practice.

All the best.

Old 08-02-2005, 01:34 PM
JOE_DAYTONA

I'm another newbie who dosen't know what the other site is. Could someone post it since Osteodoc's didn't show up when he tried to paste the link. Thanks.

Old 08-02-2005, 02:02 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

I rechecked the link and it works for me. I always try to make it a habit of checking all my links. Don't know why it didn'twork for you.

Old 08-03-2005, 09:55 PM
GoManGo!

ORIGINAL: Avanti

How often do you drive your truck at max rpms, unless at the dragstrip? Before making any decision may I humbly suggest you take a look at the complete dyno chart for the replacement cams and see what the actual torque curves look like?

It is no big deal to make top-end hp, but... at the cost of low- and mid-range torque.

Be very honest with yourself and your intended use, apart from bench-racing, before buying a replacement cam for any engine. Too much cam for the intended use is common practice.

All the best.
Avanti - On your advice I looked over the dyno charts and sure enough, the taller cam (273) actually sacrifices both TQ and HP in the lower RPM range and doesn't cross back into the stock levels until about 4500 RPM then developing huge power around 5000 RPM. The midrange cam (268) actually averages a gain of about 10HP and 15ft lbs of TQ from 2000 RPM until 4500 RPM where it opens up maxing out at +47HP at 5500 RPM. The short cam (260) however averages 10HP through the range peaking at +31HP at 5500 RPM but it makes a lot of torque averaging about 30ft lbs from 2000 to 5500 RPM. This of course is data provided by the manufacturer and probably has the standard "your results may vary" claim.

I think that I'm going to stick with the high flow air cleaner and long tube header option for now until I can get more info on the cams available. This is a daily driver and I want to keep the drivability intact.

I also wanted to reprogram the EMS with the HyperTech Programmer but the gains are minimal and you don’t get the option of reprogramming the transmission shift points which in my modest opinion is a weak spot with the Ram. I was able to reprogram my x-Avalanche to drop into first gear up to 39mph and shift to second at the 6500 RPM redline at the drop of a hat. My Ram will not drop down to first unless you are going 34mph or less and after what seems like forever (in reality about 1 to 2 seconds). The only benefit for me is the 128mph top speed limiter cause we have our share of long stretches out here.

Thanks again for the info. I at least owe you a lunch.

Quick Reply: New HEMI Camshaft