3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

RPM issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 07:22 AM
chibaninxy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question RPM issue

2006 ram 2500 with 5.7 about 68k.
-when idling after start up my truck will idle at the normal 6/650 RPM.
-when driving for a short period or long period and i come to stop sign or light where i have to sit for a period of time the RPM's will drop to about 350/400.
-things i have had to fix recently
alternator, 2 idler pulleys, serpentine belt, belt tensioner.
-only have a superchips and cold air intake installed.
-took this to dodge garage and had scan test completed. RESULT: updated my map and they instructed me if this continues i would have to replace throttle body. i cleanned the throttle body and intake manifold and got worse results. eventually had to REPLACE the throttle body.
IM LEANING TOWARDS POWER STEERING PUMP??
when the RPM drops at stop light there are a few things i can do to bring the RPM back up....
1)turn wheel slightly to the left and engine speed increases due to load on motor.
2)turn my defrost on and kick the compressor on
3)tap the gas quickly
4)place in either neutral or park until RPM raises and the return to D.

i DO NOT have an EGR valve on this truck.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:30 PM
mudkicker7812
Amateur

Power steering should not affect idle unless its dragging, even then you'd be chewing through belts and complain of a whine instead. When you turn the A/C on your PCM raises the RPM's to run the pump, so this is more than likely a Fuel/Air issue. You already did the throttlebody and MAP sensor. EGR valves has been known on the 4.7 to clog up and cause stalling issues. I'd remove it and see if it's carboned up.

Last edited by mudkicker7812; 12-12-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:36 PM
mudkicker7812
Amateur

I know you said no EGR, but to me that makes no sense, not finding any info on the net about an 06 5.7 without EGR. This truck is not legal without it. Another thing is to check the Cold air intake is getting enough air, a good clue to that is excessive fuel cunsumption, maybe a clogged fuel filter.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:52 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mudkicker7812
I know you said no EGR, but to me that makes no sense, not finding any info on the net about an 06 5.7 without EGR. This truck is not legal without it. Another thing is to check the Cold air intake is getting enough air, a good clue to that is excessive fuel cunsumption, maybe a clogged fuel filter.

3/4 ton trucks (well technically trucks above a certain GVWR) do not have to conform to the same emission laws as passenger vehicles and 1/2 ton trucks, therefore most engines in such trucks do not have an EGR system. The Hemi in the MegaCab 1500 and 2500/3500 trucks do not have one.

It potentially could be anything hooked up to the belt, even the clutch fan if it's bad or going bad. IAT sensor can also be a culprit and I'd seriously look at the throttle position sensor as well...

Old 12-12-2011, 03:21 PM
chibaninxy

when looking @ the motor on the left lower front below alternator there is a cover with 2 small bolts where the EGR would be unless its under that flat cover??? if i'm not mistaking a EGR valve would have some form of tubing and opening, i only have a flat steel cover with no holes or wires. if i were to ""overfill"" the p.s reservoir what would happen aside from the pressure building up and a overflow of fluid? what is the IAT? i checked the following sensors: ambient air, the small one that goes on my air intake tube. i do need to make the usual fixes... the damn flap in the airbox above the blower motor on passenger side took a dump.. transmission and transfer case fluids are good. blowing out some diff fluid in front, coming out of pumpkin where the axle meets up (any answer for this as well???)
thanks fellas!

Old 12-12-2011, 04:41 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

IAT = Intake Air Sensor.

and regarding the EGR, as I stated, you ain't got one. You got this in it's place:

Name:  egrblock.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  97.8 KB

Old 12-12-2011, 06:24 PM
chibaninxy

im gonna grab a light and take a look at that real quick... if gummed up and nasty looking can i clean her with some throttle body cleaner ect or do i have to buy a new one?

Old 12-12-2011, 07:09 PM
chibaninxy

i took the 2 10mm bolts out and i only have a steel cover and the gasket.there was a hole behind the plate/gasket and i cleaned it out. purpose of this?

Last edited by chibaninxy; 12-12-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:19 PM
mudkicker7812
Amateur

Question, did the problem start with the cold air intake? Most installs work well. But if your problem was related to Mass Air Pressure I would be more inclined to think its in your CAI. If its not plummed in to a certain spot it could be starved for air when air isnt flowing through the engine compartment. If you do allot of offroading the filter is most likely clogged. Start with the codes the dealer looked at.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:02 PM
chibaninxy

it didn't start with the cold air intake. the rpm drop started out of the blue one morning to work. hammer tipped me off on the EGR block, i found out this evening that the steel plate and gasket was there but NO EGR block... going to get a replacement asap. when i took her in to the dealer they said no codes. i replaced throttle body because it would just shut off spare the moment driving down the road and the throttle body lightening bolt was showing up.

Quick Reply: RPM issue