3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

noise comming out of the rear

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 05:04 PM
joelbouch
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noise comming out of the rear

hello all just recently my truck 08 ram 2500 4x4 started making this loud squiking noise when going from stop to go and noise goes away after 15 mph i check the rear gears and all ujoints and they are fine so im lost and looking for ideas thanks all for your help

Old 12-19-2011, 10:52 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by joelbouch
hello all just recently my truck 08 ram 2500 4x4 started making this loud squiking noise when going from stop to go and noise goes away after 15 mph i check the rear gears and all ujoints and they are fine so im lost and looking for ideas thanks all for your help

Joel,

Only one communication I could find on the issue and it dealt with shocks. It does not mention squeaking but I am posting it just in case. Here it is.

Issue Description:

If the vehicle has a clunking or loose lumber noise coming from the front or rear suspension, the shocks may need to be replaced to address the noise issue. The noise can usually be heard at speeds below 20 mph and temperatures at or below 40F when hitting bumps.
Refer to Service Bulletin 02-003-08 for the proper diagnostic procedure and updated part number.

NUMBER: 02-003-08
GROUP: Suspension
DATE: June 20, 2008

SUBJECT:
Front and/or Rear Shock Absorber May Exhibit A Clunking / Loose Lumber-Like Sound
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves replacement of the vehicle shock absorbers

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience a clunking-like sound when traveling over small inputs
(bumps and dips) in the road. This clunk-like sound is sometimes described as being
similar to the sound that “loose lumber” may make when loose boards strike each other.
This condition is more noticeable during cold ambient conditions below 4°C (40°F), and at
lower vehicle speeds when background noise is less. The sound may come from the front
and/or rear shock absorbers.
This condition is due to internal components within the vehicle shock absorber.
DIAGNOSIS:
Perform the following steps in a safe environment/area that is away from other vehicles
and people. Locate a safe area that has small bumps which will excite the vehicle
suspension and shock absorbers.
1. Drive the vehicle at a vehicle speed below 16 KMH (10 MPH).
2. Place the transmission into neutral.
3. WITHOUT LOCKING THE STEERING COLUMN, turn the engine off.
4. Allow the vehicle to roll over the small inputs (bumps).
5. If the shock absorber clunk / loose lumber-like sound is present, perform the repair

Old 12-19-2011, 03:13 PM
joelbouch

its not the shocks even on flat ground with no bumps i can have the truck crawl and it will make the noise

Old 12-19-2011, 04:52 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Parking brake dragging inside the rear rotors?

Old 12-19-2011, 07:21 PM
joelbouch

Originally Posted by lxman1
Parking brake dragging inside the rear rotors?
nope pulled both wheels and checked no brakes hanging up but when roatate the tires up in the air with truck off put in drive you can hear the noise in the shaft.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:40 PM
Plainbroke
Veteran

UJOINT DRY time to replace them.

Quick Reply: noise comming out of the rear