3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2006 1500 Lower Strut bushing

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 09:36 AM
kossuth
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 1500 Lower Strut bushing

Ok, I've looked pretty solid for the last two days without any luck and basically pleading for help at this point. My 06 Ram has developed a "thudding" sound in the front end. Thought maybe it was a strut or a strut mount. Long story short, it actually ended up being the strut mounting bushing in the lower control arm. Can't find the POS any place including the dealer. They want you to buy the entire control arm at the tune of $450. All I need is that stupid $20 bushing, but nobody knows where to get the part. Here is a picture of the lower control arm assembly. The bushing in question is just to the left of the ball joint, and to the right of the actual control arm bushings that bolt to the frame.

If anybody has any input please let me know being I want to get this truck back together as quickly and reasonably as possible.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:46 PM
mycj7

I've never been able to find them either.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:58 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

While it certainly looks replaceable, the official exploded parts diagram only shows four different parts:
  • the control arm itself, which includes the strut mount bushing
  • front and rear control arm bushings that mount to the frame
  • the lower ball joint
It is not listed as a separate part that can be replaced. However, I have heard (I don't own a 4x4) that some aftermarket replacement struts come with the lower bushing, so this may be something to look into.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:07 AM
kossuth
Professional

Originally Posted by Brandon Anderson
While it certainly looks replaceable, the official exploded parts diagram only shows four different parts:
  • the control arm itself, which includes the strut mount bushing
  • front and rear control arm bushings that mount to the frame
  • the lower ball joint
It is not listed as a separate part that can be replaced. However, I have heard (I don't own a 4x4) that some aftermarket replacement struts come with the lower bushing, so this may be something to look into.
I did read this as well. Most specifically Rancho was supposedly the manufacturer that supplied that lower bushing. Well, I called Rancho yesterday, and asked the tech support person to confirm or deny that a replacement bushing was packaged with their shocks. Basically I was told by the tech support person that they do not supply any chassis bushings with their shocks. And that was the end of that basically. To be frank the guy was really rude and if I were purchasing shocks for the truck (it is a consideration considering how far down I have it at this point) it wouldn't be Ranchos. He really pissed me off, and wasn't at all helpful. Perhaps they do offer the bushing, but if they do he couldn't bother himself to look and give me a part number to order. None the less I've got the control arm about 2/3rds off the truck. Gotta get the CV shaft off so I can pull the lower control arm, and air hammer those rear bolts out.

I'm going to take the control arm to a local spring shop here in my area that reconditions and custom builds leafs springs ect. There is a possibility (not sure how strong or weak the possibility is) that he has something that will work. If I don't find the bushing, I gotta replace the damned control arm anyways so I guess I won't be out anything really. If somebody knows of a bushing that will work please post up, being the bushing shop is 30 miles in the other direction from my house and I work 60 miles from my house. In other words I will have to take a day off work to run over to the bushing shop LOL. Thanks guys and let me know.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:43 AM
dakotatrevor
Professional

I could not find them anywhere either when I was putting my leveling kit on. My lower strut bolt was seized in that bushing, and the control arm bolts were seized as well. I ended up replacing all 6 bolts, as most of them had to be cut off, and pressed out of the bushing with a 50 ton press. I made very sure not to wreck that particular bushing, so I could re-use my control arm.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:35 PM
kossuth
Professional

Well, found some good and bad info. The bushing is almost the same diameter as a Chevy truck leaf spring bushing. Not close enough to fit though. The Chevy bushing is alittle too long, but that is easily fixed. I guess if you are willing to machine the bushing bore in the control arm it would work aok, but I didn't find a direct replacement. I will look at another shop later on but that's all I have to offer at this point. BTW the Napa replacement arm which is only about $135 is nationally backordered. Carquest had a Moog unit for about $230

Old 01-08-2012, 07:53 PM
CapnCon

ive got the same problem energy suspension has all kind off universal bushing sizes does anyone know the size of that bushing?

Old 01-10-2012, 09:16 PM
beeline08

What do you mean by thudding? I recently heard a pop in front end and every since there is a sound that sounds like someone is sticking a stick in and out of my wheel. Does this sound like what yours did?

Old 01-11-2012, 09:15 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Why not take the truck to a shop that does front end work and let them check it out for free and tell you what exactly needs to be replaced and then replace it yourself and take it to them for the alignment

Old 01-14-2012, 10:56 AM
beeline08

Don't really have time during the week. It would be easier to pull off the wheel on the weekend myself

Quick Reply: 2006 1500 Lower Strut bushing