3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

squeaky noise from front

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 11:47 AM
pl4life52
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeaky noise from front

I ordered new shocks all the way around the truck going to install them next week. i was wondering if there would be anything else that would make a squeaky noise in the front im thinking maybe bushings? i wanna take a look while im under there for other possibilities but was wondering what they can be.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:23 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Use some wd40 to spray on the parts you think are causing the noise and see if it goes awat.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:10 PM
CharlieEscobar
Professional

Just fyi, wd40 is NOT a lubricant. It's touted as such but isn't.

The 'WD' stands for Water Displacement, formula 40.

If you're looking for noises then use machine oil or even gun oil since most ppl have that around the house.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:24 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

A distinct squeak is usually a bushing. Could very possibly be the shock bushing in which case the new shocks will take care of it, but also check any other bushings under there. The sway bar bushings are usually a prime culprit...

Old 12-21-2011, 02:36 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

I would think more guys would have wd40 and more willing to waste it than gun oil

Old 12-21-2011, 07:22 PM
timekop
Professional

How old are the ball joints? I had an awful squeak prior to replacing mine with ones which had the zerk fittings so I could lubricate em.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:21 AM
pl4life52
Amateur

Thanks guys!

Well all my shocks came in yesterday and came with all new bushings and hardware so maybe tonight or tomorrow I will install them got any tips?

and I was thinking sway bar bushing because i heard that some where before I will def take a look at it. I drenched all the bushings before with lubricant went away for a lil bit then came back which really didnt help me should have sprayed only one at a time to help me out more

Im not sure when the ball joints were replaced but i highly doubt any time soon the shocks still look like oem i will take a look at those as well and if theyre not much in money i will just replace them now and save myself the headache later

also i was going to raise the car from underneath and read that not to go above 2 inches which is fine but everyone that gets in my car thinks its raised previous guy said it was not but is there a way to measure from the wheel to fender to see if it has been raised, because i would like to do this before i put my new xd monsters that came in yesterday aswell since i will be doing an alignment after i install them so why do it twice

thanks again guys

Old 12-23-2011, 03:20 AM
CharlieEscobar
Professional

Weed, my point is that wd40 is not just the wrong chem to use, it can dry out bushings and non-metallic surfaces, making the problem worse or causing new problems.

Some ppl incorrectly rely on wd40 for lube or breakfree uses and don't have LPS, CRC or even Liquid Wrench, but gun oil or machine oil is commonplace.

Oh BTW, the squeaking under the truck I bought was the lower ball joints, dry as a bone.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:39 AM
pl4life52
Amateur

Im thinking it might be more of the ball joints because when im standing still and i turn the wheel a little bit i hear the squeeking. I would be replacing just the lower correct?

Old 12-23-2011, 11:27 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Ive never known WD to dry out rubber but them again I dont go back and check after i use it. I do have and love LPS as we used that at work.

Quick Reply: squeaky noise from front