3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 11:42 AM
Krusshall
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wingnutks
Well a new "developement". I was all around under the check and I am 99% sure that the water pump is weeping out the bottom of the pump where the pump and timing cover mate up.
HOWEVER, I saw a few drips of coolant back by the bell housing/oil pan! WTF! It is driping down from in between the back of the oil pan and some kind of mounting flange that the bell housing bolts on to. I wiped it dry last night and today I had a wet spot in the driveway a little smaller than the palm of your hand... so I know it is a very slow drip.
Do you guys think that it is coolant weeping from the pump making it to the back by the oil pan? What would leak coolant in the back of the engine? are there any coolant hoses back there? FWIW I checked and as far as I can tell it doesnt look like there is anything driping from the back of the heads, side of the heads, or anything dripping onto the bell housing.

I'm experiencing a leak in the same spot you did. What did you find the source of the leak to be?

Old 02-12-2013, 01:45 PM
Harts06bighorn

I just bought a 06 ram, 1500 hemi and I am needing to change the water pump. I noticed that it has the regular green coolant in it. should I change it to the special hoat coolant or continue to use what it has in it? I haven't had any trouble with it, just noticed the water pump started leaking and is now making a screaching noise.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:00 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You can use the green stuff. It works fine.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:10 PM
Harts06bighorn

Thanks... I was hoping it would be ok.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:41 PM
wht93gted

Quick question, I'm doing my pump this weekend as well. '06 Ram 1500 HEMI with right around 145k miles.

From what I can see, the gasket between the pump and timing cover is leaking.

Anyway, I have all the parts, and I see the gasket fits into a grove on the pump. In my Chiltons book (I know; not the most accurate), it says to use sealant on the pump and the timing cover before installing it. So I imagined filling the groove on the pump with a small bead of RTV, then putting the gasket in there. Then also putting a small bead on the cover itself before installing the pump.

IS that right, or unnecessary? I've done many pumps on cars throughout the years, but it was always on my older cars where I'd use Gasgacinch or RTV on the paper style gaskets.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:24 AM
wingnutks
Professional

Originally Posted by wht93gted
Quick question, I'm doing my pump this weekend as well. '06 Ram 1500 HEMI with right around 145k miles.

From what I can see, the gasket between the pump and timing cover is leaking.

Anyway, I have all the parts, and I see the gasket fits into a grove on the pump. In my Chiltons book (I know; not the most accurate), it says to use sealant on the pump and the timing cover before installing it. So I imagined filling the groove on the pump with a small bead of RTV, then putting the gasket in there. Then also putting a small bead on the cover itself before installing the pump.

IS that right, or unnecessary? I've done many pumps on cars throughout the years, but it was always on my older cars where I'd use Gasgacinch or RTV on the paper style gaskets.
I did not and would not do that. I just scraped/brushed the mating surface clean and used the supplied gasket. When you take your old pump off you will see how shrunken the gasket is... the new one will seal it up just fine by itself.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:11 AM
DealBrkr

The leak at the oil pan could be from heater core hoses at the firewall.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:41 AM
wht93gted

Originally Posted by wingnutks
I did not and would not do that. I just scraped/brushed the mating surface clean and used the supplied gasket. When you take your old pump off you will see how shrunken the gasket is... the new one will seal it up just fine by itself.
Thanks for the info; I did wind up replacing mine that weekend, already 2 months ago, and I just spent about an hour scraping and cleanign with a scotchbrite pad. It's been fine since.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak