3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck shutters between 1400 and 1600 rpm when just barely touching throttle.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 04:58 PM
Winchested
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck shutters between 1400 and 1600 rpm when just barely touching throttle.

My father took me for a drive in in his ram today to show me and see if i knew what could be causing his problem.

This problem doesn't always show up and never under any normal acceleration.

The truck/engine stutters at 1400-1600 rpm (In OD, checked it out of OD and it still does it in this RPM range) when just barely touching the throttle, mainly when just touching it enough to stay at a constant speed (Between 60-80 km/h).

He says if he is on the highway doing above 80-90 km/h it sometimes shows up too but he couldn't remember the RPM range.

I manually ran the throttle at the TB and I could not get it to produce the stutter.

No problems under normal to heavy acceleration at all.

It kind of baffles me. I figured if it was a really bad issue or spark plugs or fuel filter etc it would show up under heavy acceleration.

Thanks for any possible info.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:41 PM
Lifttruck
Rookie

Originally Posted by Winchested
My father took me for a drive in in his ram today to show me and see if i knew what could be causing his problem.

This problem doesn't always show up and never under any normal acceleration.

The truck/engine stutters at 1400-1600 rpm (In OD, checked it out of OD and it still does it in this RPM range) when just barely touching the throttle, mainly when just touching it enough to stay at a constant speed (Between 60-80 km/h).

He says if he is on the highway doing above 80-90 km/h it sometimes shows up too but he couldn't remember the RPM range.

I manually ran the throttle at the TB and I could not get it to produce the stutter.

No problems under normal to heavy acceleration at all.

It kind of baffles me. I figured if it was a really bad issue or spark plugs or fuel filter etc it would show up under heavy acceleration.

Thanks for any possible info.
What year, model, and engine Ram?

Old 01-08-2012, 06:02 PM
Winchested

2003 1500 4.7 litre quad cab 2wd.
No codes etc father said guy he bought from put lifetime plugs in.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:58 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Winchested
2003 1500 4.7 litre quad cab 2wd.
No codes etc father said guy he bought from put lifetime plugs in.
Lifetime plugs arent for Dodge engines. They only use basic coppers and are tuned accordingly. 4.7l's arent as picky as the Hemi's but coppers they should be.
Did you check/clean or replace the IAC valve?

Old 01-10-2012, 07:00 AM
Winchested

Where is the IAC valve? Is that similar to the PCV?

Quick Reply: Truck shutters between 1400 and 1600 rpm when just barely touching throttle.