3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'07 Ram Electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 12:47 AM
0sevenRam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No i have not, if the problem returns i will test the batt. otherwise, been fine all day today. :-)

Old 02-29-2012, 12:35 AM
0sevenRam

almost 1 month, no issues, other than now i have engine light (egr closed position) but that is another thread....

Old 03-29-2014, 12:07 AM
semilemon
Default Same issue

I had this EXACT same issue with the same year/model... turned out to be a broken negative battery terminal. Fixed it with an $8 replacement end and haven't had any issues since.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:45 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 0sevenRam
just want to say thanks dirtydog for all your time

when i got home the key fob worked and i turned the key to on posistion and everything seemed fine. went inside to change into some warm work clothes and guess what....no power again and i meen nothing. so i popped the hood and heard some really quick clicking from behind the cluster, maybe about 3-4 seconds. all power back (so now im thinkin lose wire). the ground wire on the battery terminal was wigglable, not lose but not tight. I have tightened that up.

went out for a drive everything seems fine except the Fuel consumption estimate in the overhead console. it is all over the place. In a 5 minute drive it went down to 13.0 up then down then up..........

no codes have displayed on the dash, but i am going back out in about 10 mins to see if there is still power, I will plug in the scanner to see if any codes are pending.

I'm hoping this is just as simple as the ground being lose.
I know you posted this aloooong time ago but I wanted to add info for others. The noise behind the cluster you were hearing are the stepper motors cycling. I get this all the time when my battery is dead and I turn the key to ON position.

Originally Posted by semilemon
I had this EXACT same issue with the same year/model... turned out to be a broken negative battery terminal. Fixed it with an $8 replacement end and haven't had any issues since.
Yeah, all these symptoms lead me to believe OP had a bad battery. My truck sits alot and I have gone through 2 batteries already. Funny stuff happens with dead cells in a battery. Your battery can still read 12v but under load is is very weak and causes electronics to shut down that need a specific amount of power before they will operate effectively.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:17 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This happened to me and I was puzzled for a second till I realized that he Negative Battery Terminal was loose... tightened it up and haven't had a single issue in over a year.

Quick Reply: '07 Ram Electrical issue