3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 06:47 PM
ThuDLux1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating

hey guys,
i have an 07 ram 4.7... my water pump bearing was going bad so i replaced the water pump. refilled my radiator w/ new fluids. drove my truck about 10 miles and it ran HOT!!!! all the way to the red. went by n got a new thermostat, replaced it, and still running HOT...

any suggestions or similar stories??? anything will help...

thanks..

Old 01-29-2012, 07:21 PM
bigdaddyII
Captain

Did you "burp" the air out of the system after refilling it? There is a plug of sorts that you are supposed to loosen while the engine is running and as the coolant circulates the air is forced out, at least on my 02 4.7 there is a plug. Not sure about your configuration. What I have always done though is leave the radiator cap off and run the truck until the thermostat opens, and repeat this once or twice more.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:47 PM
ThuDLux1
Default Burping

yes... i have heard about the screw, but haven't found it. so, i have filled the radiator and left the cap off n let it run.... then filled again or topped off... still, drive it for 5 mins, casually, and it's n the red....

Old 01-29-2012, 09:02 PM
Owensue
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any possibly way the belt got put on wrong, this could cause the pump to rotate the wrong way and therefor not pump.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:04 PM
hyperjay
Rookie

did u turn your heater on high while running it?

Old 01-29-2012, 09:46 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Most guys who run the 4.7 hot find other related issues down the road so keep a close eye on it (cracked heads, blown head gaskets, ECT)

Old 01-29-2012, 09:53 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

4.7L's are notorious for clogged radiators and overheating. I have no idea why? I'd imagine most of it stems from lack of maintenance as the coolant is only good for 50kmi. Most that overheat, end up warping their heads and costing them big bucks. I'd flush your coolant out and make sure it's clean internally.

Doesn't matter what system or vehicle you have. if you have a radiator cap, you can leave the cap off when cold and let the vehicle run until hot which allows the coolant to be circulated once the t-stat opens. That will circulate the air bubbles out. it'll just take longer than loosening the upper most valve on the intake.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:54 PM
ThuDLux1

hey guys..

the belt is on correct... and yes i had the heat on while it was running.... i also had to turn the heat full blast so i could get home w/o it overheating.....

i flushed the system while i had the pump off.... the truck never ran hot until i put the new pump on.... don't know what's going on...

anymore ideas will b greatly appreciated...

thnx

Old 01-30-2012, 10:58 PM
Caseys-dodge
Veteran

When I was shopping around my a water pump for my 02 5.9 I kept seeing references that some parts are made for reverse rotation (or something like that). I never did get a real good answer about it but I guess some engines (or the way the belt routes) would need a water pump that was designed to turn counter-clockwise (or maybe clockwise). I also saw the same thing when I had to replace the fan clutch - some would say 'for reverse rotation.' I know it's a PITA to pull the water pump back out, but if you do you should compare the fins on both water pumps to make sure they "face" the same way. That's the only thing I can think of that hasn't been mentioned already.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:59 AM
ThuDLux1

caseys,

that sounds logical though. i didn't know of that option and the guy that sold me mine never mentioned it either...

that's the only thing that i can think of, bad water pump... don't really know how a "new" one cld b bad....

thanks for the help... i will keep u guys updated as the journey continues....

Quick Reply: Overheating