3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

03, ram 1500 p0300 Causes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 10:52 PM
djmunky
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03, ram 1500 p0300 Causes?

Hello forum, very first post on here. Stright to the point. I have a 03 ram 1500 5.7 Have had this truck for over a year no problems. Stopped at gas station 2 nights ago got gas,went home, truck started acting crazy. Spitting sputtering then dead. Crank the engine back, barely started. Have to press gas to stay idleing. Sounds like it is choking and sometimes idles so low and starts to sound like a diesal engine. Engine light pops up. Ran test p0300 "random misfire". My first thought was bad gas or water in gas. Bought some stuff called "heet" poured it in tank. Nothing changes,still bad.Drained gas,put new....nothing. Next thought,Tune up!! Put in some new platinum plugs and wires. And of course no help. Checked fuelpump pressure. Its fine. Truck still sounding horible. Engine light remains. Can not drive far untill it chokes out and dies. Kinda just lost now. Any and all ideas will be appreciated and thanks.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:27 PM
broncoremy
Professional

Welcome to the forum.

here is a write-up on p0300
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0300

From what you wrote you may have a broken valve spring. I have had a valve spring break on mine. Broken valve springs on '03 Hemis appears to be a common issue. I found the cylinder that was a problem by checking the compression or you could just remove the valve covers to find out if that is what has happened.

you may also want to check out the thread that lists other common problems to watch out for.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...e-posting.html

Good luck and don't be shy about asking for help. Many of the guys here are very good. Please let us know what it is when you figure it out

Old 01-31-2012, 11:41 PM
broncoremy
Professional

While I hope it is something much easier to fix, here are a couple of valve spring threads.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ring-help.html

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...questions.html

Old 01-31-2012, 11:43 PM
djmunky

K thanks. I will check that tomoro. And I will update you guys with my results. Quick question, probaly stupid one but I have always wondered why the engine starts to sound kinda like a diesal engine if it idles to low or is about to die. First time I heard the sound from a previous car I thought the motor done blew and everything else but I learned its normal. But what is it?

Old 02-07-2012, 05:41 PM
djmunky

ok guys so its been a lil longer then i expected but I got to messing with it today and got the passenger side cover off. I examined all the springs on that side with my eyes of course and my fingers, all the springs on that side seem to be fine. Couldnt find a break or feeel a nic anywhere. Had to go to work so cant get around to the drivers side till tomorow. I will let you know my results after tomorow afternoon. Thinking a lil bit ahead of time, if I check the drivers side and there is also no breaks in them springs can you list off some other possibilties on why truck is acting lik that? I really appreciate it.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:31 AM
vegastom69

hey i just whent true this crap with my truck also replace all the plugs coil packs took it to the dealer they said there best guess was a bad fuel injector so hade them replace it also still getting the code after i picked it up the next day, so for the hell of it i replaced the crank pos sensor, 30 dollars at the parts store ,seamed to fix my problem no more codes just pass a smog test and seams to be running a lot better hope this is a help to ya

Old 02-08-2012, 05:13 PM
djmunky

Just took other side off today, All springs seem to be in good shape, no cracks,breaks,nics, nothing. Thinks for the tip vega I will try that. Any other ideas? Appreciate any help.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:24 PM
djmunky

Also, Vega, where is the CPS located? Is it under the altanator? And how hard is the process of removing and installing it? Thanks

Old 02-09-2012, 06:44 PM
vegastom69

not sure about the 5.7 i have the 4.7 and mine was pass side by the bell housing only one bolt holds it in took 10 min to change good luck

Old 02-10-2012, 05:15 PM
djmunky

Thanks. ill let ya know.

Quick Reply: 03, ram 1500 p0300 Causes?