3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Diff/Tranny oil, and tune up advice wanted

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 02:59 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wink2873
i dont really think its bad info. you never know whats been done and what hasnt been done before. my advice was to leave the transmission alone if it was fine. screwing around with it can be more trouble than what its worth...

Im also a big believer in preventative maintenence. I owned my dakota from the time it had 2k miles on it until it had 80k and 10 years later, I never had any sort of driveline malfunction. I did the schedule the book suggested for maintenance and it paid off. when I got my ram, it already had 75k miles on it... I just looked for some of the known problems and made sure it wasnt an issue. since I own it now and it still has alot of life left in it, I do all the maintenance the way it should be done... but you still never know what was done before.
Precicely why I go through ALL of the fluids when I purchased a used vehicle. This guarantees that they have been done., and if they already have been done it's gonna be that much cleaner inside whatever I have replaced the fluid in.
Trans fluid should be done at 50-60kmi. So, if you aren't sure if it's been done before, you should have it done! Now, the filters aren't necessarily due till 100kmi, but the fluid is due long before that.
I don't see how this can happen? I've purchased ALOT of used vehicles, and worked on countless customer vehicles and never had a problem flushing the trans the way I described above. I have this same discussion all the time with guys who are under false pretenses because they hear horor stories about people having their trans backflushed or have had chemicals ran through them with the machines. The above method isn't the case! There's no pressure or additives other than new fluids. Leaving old fluid inside the trans isn't good either and even though there may not be anything wrong right now, it could cause damage down the road. trans fluid absorbs heat. Dirty/broken down fluid cannot.
All I'm saying, is that if you reach the point where your fluid smells...your way behind in maintenance!

I'm willing to bet that a 75kmi used Ram has not had any trans service done to it! People usually sell/trade when it's time to put a bunch of money/maintenance into them.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:18 PM
AP577
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow thanks for all the great responses!

Also, Thanks to DirtyDog for that advice for the full transmission flush!

Thanks to you all I now have my "Shopping/To-Do List" for my truck.

As far as fluids These are the ones I found available at the local Autozone.

For the Transmission: Castrol ATF+4
Is this fluid good? It was the only +4 I found there So I just want to make sure.

Differential: Valvoline 75w-140 SynPower Full Synthetic
(This was only 75w-140. They had many other 85-140?)

Does this have the correct additives My LSD Needs?

This is what the description said...

Valvoline SynPower Full Synthetic Gear Oil is formulated for ultimate protection and performance. Protects parts from rust and corrosion and is compatible with conventional gear lubricants.
  • Contains additives to assist in protecting gear teeth
  • Maintains excellent low temperature fluid protection down to -50°F (-46°C)
  • Provides outstanding thermal stability for cleanliness and longer service life
  • Recommended for (conventional and limited slip) manual transmissions where an API GL-5 or MT-1 fluid is specified

And For the spark plug gaps, Casey said .040
Is that what most of you use for your gaps?

Thanks All, Just want to make sure I have all the information before I go and do it all, because I have to rent a lift at the auto hobby shop on base and want to do everything right the first time so I don't have to go back or get charged more (Fee's are per the hour)

Thanks!

Old 02-08-2012, 03:30 PM
boosted-fc3s
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There should be a placard under your hood that tells you the gaps.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:58 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Everything you posted sounds good to me AP577! And yes on the diff fluid having additive. Says so HERE

Reduces Chattering: Contains special additives to reduce chattering in limited-slip differentials.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:52 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Precicely why I go through ALL of the fluids when I purchased a used vehicle. This guarantees that they have been done., and if they already have been done it's gonna be that much cleaner inside whatever I have replaced the fluid in.
Trans fluid should be done at 50-60kmi. So, if you aren't sure if it's been done before, you should have it done! Now, the filters aren't necessarily due till 100kmi, but the fluid is due long before that.
I don't see how this can happen? I've purchased ALOT of used vehicles, and worked on countless customer vehicles and never had a problem flushing the trans the way I described above. I have this same discussion all the time with guys who are under false pretenses because they hear horor stories about people having their trans backflushed or have had chemicals ran through them with the machines. The above method isn't the case! There's no pressure or additives other than new fluids. Leaving old fluid inside the trans isn't good either and even though there may not be anything wrong right now, it could cause damage down the road. trans fluid absorbs heat. Dirty/broken down fluid cannot.
All I'm saying, is that if you reach the point where your fluid smells...your way behind in maintenance!

I'm willing to bet that a 75kmi used Ram has not had any trans service done to it! People usually sell/trade when it's time to put a bunch of money/maintenance into them.
trans fluid smells terrible when its brand new.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:51 PM
Caseys-dodge
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wink2873
trans fluid smells terrible when its brand new.
Well it smells even worse when it's used! I just changed my transfer case fluid (quite overdue) and dang it was bad, especially since the first half a quart decided to completely miss the drain pan. And then to top it off, as I was refilling, the suction pump line popped out and I got a good splatter of red fluid to mix in with the black fluid.

But it still doesn't smell nearly as bad as the used gear oil!

Old 02-09-2012, 10:41 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

DirtyDog has it right. When it doubt, change it out.

First thing I did when I bought my wife Mini was a full tune up and changed ALL the fluids (minus the trans because its sealed)

Old 02-10-2012, 08:56 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Caseys-dodge
Well it smells even worse when it's used! I just changed my transfer case fluid (quite overdue) and dang it was bad, especially since the first half a quart decided to completely miss the drain pan. And then to top it off, as I was refilling, the suction pump line popped out and I got a good splatter of red fluid to mix in with the black fluid.

But it still doesn't smell nearly as bad as the used gear oil!
I dont know... I didnt think gear oil was that bad. I changed dropped the pan and changed filters about a month ago... because I had to do this on a garage floor with little room, I ended up laying in a puddle of trans fluid while I changed filters... I had to throw away the sweat shirt I was wearing because the smell wouldnt come out after multiple washes. Then, somehow the extra half quart of new fluid I had leaked all over the floor in my truck, and it smelled just as bad as what I drained out. I had to shampoo the carpets and get air fresheners that go on the heater vents to get it to smell decent again. This leads me to believe that A: the fluid I drained out must not have been that bad, and B: it all smells bad. My truck smelled like a cat lady's house that just let cats **** all over the place until I shampooed the carpet.

Quick Reply: Diff/Tranny oil, and tune up advice wanted