3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sub connected to Stock Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 03:43 AM
04 Hemi
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sub connected to Stock Stereo

Hey fellas, I am going to connect my old sub, but want to keep the stock stereo since its the 6-disc. Does anyone know how to connect the stock stereo to a EQ that has an RCA input? Is there a thiga-magiga that connects regular speaker wire and turns it into RCA?
Any helpful hints on how to do this would be appreciated.

Old 08-08-2005, 09:50 AM
ce2flaco
Veteran
Default RE: Sub connected to Stock Stereo

You need a high to low level converter.
It is exactly what you said. A thingamajig that changes speaker wires to rca cables. They work great and you won't induce noise into your system like a splice would. Best Buy or any good car audio shop should be able to sell you one for less than $30.
Good luck.

Old 08-08-2005, 07:52 PM
04 Hemi
Amateur

I am going to check out my local best buy or radio shack to see if they got it, Thanks.

Old 08-08-2005, 11:35 PM
hemi345

the convertor will cost you $19. on my QC i mounted an audiobahn amp under the rear seat behind the horizontal brace bar. fits perfectly . got my 10 inch sub box that fits in the passenger side well from SOUND OFF AUDIO out of florida, cost $99. thats alot cheaper than the other boxes you will find.

Old 08-09-2005, 01:37 AM
04 Hemi
Amateur

Hey Hemi345, did you connect your amp to the stock head unit, and if so what did you connect to the remote on the amp. I have done it before but i have always done it with an aftermarket head unit which has a specific cable for that. Any hints would be great.

Old 08-10-2005, 02:14 PM
HemiBuell
Captain

I disagree. In my experience some noise is introduced this way. Not a lot but you can tell. The right aftermarket head unit is worth it if you buy the right features.

Old 08-10-2005, 11:09 PM
ce2flaco
Veteran

ORIGINAL: HemiBuell

I disagree. In my experience some noise is introduced this way. Not a lot but you can tell. The right aftermarket head unit is worth it if you buy the right features.
I disagree.

I have used these on more than a few installs and have had very good results. Maybe your wiring methods are the issue.
The "right" aftermarket head unit is just as good as putting a sign on your truck that says "break my window please".

I am biased towards a "stealth" install. I like it when idiots look in the window and see a bone stock unit in the dash.
Some people however are more concerned with a trick looking head unit.
I guess it's a matter of opinion.

As for the remote wire. It draws nearly nothing as far as amperage is concerned so any circuit in your fuse box that revieves power after you turn on your ignition will be fine. This will make certain your amp turns off when you have the ignition in the off position.

Old 08-10-2005, 11:16 PM
Phatboy
Professional

In my experiences I have found that properly grounding, the right guage wire and clean unpainted surface, and proper routing, dont run the RCA's and amp power wire near each other, give the best noise cancellation. I will probably be using the converter on my truck, just because I really like the factory unit. I have a pioneer all ready ready to go in if I wanted it but I dont like the gap/open look with the single DIN kits.

If anyone wants it let me know. I accept cash. LOL. And its about a 3 minute install.

Old 08-11-2005, 10:45 PM
04 Hemi
Amateur

Thanks Guys, for your info. going to try to connect everything before the weekend is over.
I will post back once my truck is pounding, to say how it went.

Quick Reply: Sub connected to Stock Stereo