3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Illegal not to have front plates in TX?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 06:07 PM
GeeWillikers
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Illegal not to have front plates in TX?

A skilled stereo thief will have that thing out in about 20 seconds. If you can't react quick enough to get to it by then, the alarm won't matter.
Agree strongly. This is exactly right. Unless you're standing in the bed of your truck, your alarm will make no difference. Alarms do a lot to give their owners comfort, but do little to deter or defeat a professional thief.

Car theft is horrible in Texas - the border is very close and it's almost a sport to steal high-dollar SUVs and diesel trucks and take them south over the border. They'll drive your truck away with the alarm blaring. Stereo theft is like pre-school for the car thiefs.

I hear so many alarms going off I don't even pay any attention any more. The majority of my friends who I've discussed this with feel the same way. Nine times out of ten the owner sets off their own alarm because they're clueless - after a while it becomes the 'boy who cried wolf' syndrome.

Old 08-08-2005, 08:35 PM
mag75

yall seem to know a lot about car theft. I have a detachable face and a box that is under the seat and is the same color as my carpet. I quess thats the best I can do 2 remain safe.

Old 08-08-2005, 10:38 PM
cjmrdc
Rookie

Detachable face plates aren't as whoopty-dooda for car thiefs as you guys are making them out to be, when you steal a 800$ headunit, you can buy a replacement face-plate for alot cheaper than the headunit. Also, how many of you with removable faceplates just stick the faceplate in the glove compartment, or the center console? The officialy number I read somewhere was over 80%, and stereo thieves know this, if your car looks like it has a nice stereo, or you took the time to remove the face plate, you might still end up without a radio, it doesn't take any longer, and if you're stealing 30-40 head units a night, then why not?

Old 08-09-2005, 01:57 AM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker

well I definitely have to get in on this thread... I have several things to mention about all the subjects above, especially on the radio/stereo theft.

Being a car audio installer now for over 20 years I will put my 2 cents in...

First off most thieves are not going to go buy something to go with something they stole to turn around to pawn it off, and most faceplates(and ESPECIALLY those that are really expensive) are upwards of $100 or more when purchased seperately unless you can manage to find one on ebay or used somewhere, which takes time, which a criminal doesnt have.

Next the window tint thing, the alarm will not go off it you shoot the window with a bb gun and then "fold" the glass(since it is so nicely stuck to the tint) over into the vehicle so as to not make a mess. Most alarms require a pretty good shock to set off any sensor or a door must be opened. So to a smart thief the vehicle with the tint makes a much better target, less noise and far less mess. Seen this happen many a times and replaced many stereos... plus once the thief is inside the dark tint makes it much harder for anyone to see that they are in there while they are searching your vehicle for all of its goodies!

Lastly you are required in Texas to have a front plate, even if you have a Viper you are supposed to have a front plate, although most dealers will not install the plate bracket that comes with it unless the customer requests them to do so. I have gotten a ticket for not having one on my last truck, the officer that stopped me for speeding was slightly irritated because he was having a time to get a good fix on me with the laser gun since the plate is reflective and commonly used as a target point.

In fact the law changed last year here in Texas concerning the front and rear plates and the frames that alot of dealers and people put around them. If your frame covers up any part of the word TEXAS at the top of the plate, then you can get a ticket. Good thing I am not an officer, I could be a total sh*thead and give these tickets out all day long, by the hundreds and most people would just look at me like I was stupid... but the law was passed last year and went into effect the 1st of Sept. '04. I havet had a chance to put my DodgeForum plate that I won on yet to see if it is legal.

Old 08-09-2005, 04:50 AM
cbrewer954
Professional

Out here in CA you need a front plate as well. Doesn't matter what kinda ride you have. Except bikes. They're getting big on photo enforced intersections lately. From what I've seen here, most cops won't stop you for no front plate, but if pulled over for something else, you will get that ticket too. I drove a civic for 7 yrs without a front plate and never got nailed for it.

Old 08-09-2005, 04:55 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or they'll just break in to see what you're hiding. Somebody broke into my old Jetta and stole my coat, which was on the back seat (Dickey's, about $80 from Fred Meyer) and they got an old digital camera that was not visable even if the windows had been down. So they broke in on a lark to see what might be in it. My tint wasn't super dark but it was at the limit for WA.
edit: And the car was bone stock except for some cheap Koenig wheels ($70/each used), a K&N filter, and an APR reflash of the ecu. Nothing special at all that would make them think there was anything worth stealing inside except for the tint.

ORIGINAL: mag75

having limo tint is the best investment I have made on my truck. Keeps the truck much much cooler ( I live in houston, humid as hell) and protects theives from looking into my truck. If I get pulled over and they ask me about my tint I am just going to tell them I need it to protect my stereo from getting stolen. If a theif cant see inside then he wont steal what he cant see.

Old 08-09-2005, 08:51 AM
BeasTA

ok, here in tx, its def required to have a front plate. I've been pulled over many a time getting warnings, and 1 ticket for not having the plate mounted on the front of my trans am. Once i went to court for it, the prosecutor told me that as long as I had it facing hte front(which it was, on the dash of the car) its legal. The ONLY time you'll get pulled over in Tx for the front plate alone is by constables and sheffifs. all other cops dont care by my experience. And right after I got my ticket, I went and drilled 2 fresh holes into the fiberglass airdam(bumper) to mount the plate with teh factory bracket, really pisses me off that the prosecutor told me it was ok since it was displayed on my dash. Also, there is word going around that next eyar, they are going to start issuing only one plate, so no more front plate HOPEFULLY. but that law i believe was shot down by the senate. we'll see

Old 08-09-2005, 09:26 AM
Dodge_Sniper
Banned

I think it's not illegal. Out here, front plates are like, just for designs, and the license plates go on the back. Such as this-
For TX, I'm not sure, but I say **** the cops. Do what you want. Put the plates where you want dude.

-Ron

Old 08-10-2005, 01:19 AM
nukemsram

I lived in San Antonio for 3 years. I was originally told that if the vehicle was purchased out of state, then it is not illegal. I was later corrected. ANY vehicle without a front license plate MAY receive a ticket. I say MAY because I never put one on my wife's Plymouth Breeze the entire time I lived in SA. I never received a ticket for it. I did, however, manage a couple of speeding tickets.

Nukem

Old 08-10-2005, 07:05 AM
BeasTA

ORIGINAL: nukemsram

I did, however, manage a couple of speeding tickets.

Nukem
speeding in a breeze?
I call BS!!!!!

jk

Quick Reply: Illegal not to have front plates in TX?