3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

$550?! Seriously?! Plugs wires and a sensor?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 09:16 PM
Dudemanbrother
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NV290
My truck (knock on wood) has never thrown a code. But i hear the EGR being mentioned fairly often as a potential troublemaker. As as easy as it is to change and reasonably priced, with my truck at 100,000 now, is it something worth changing before it becomes an issue? And do these trucks (06')
have a PCV valve?
Definately worth changing at this point. It's probably filthy! Yes we do have a pcv. No hose attached. It's to the left of the throttle body. It has a little twist lock top. Dealer only part and about $35 bucks but only takes a minute to swap. A few seconds if your hemi hat is gone.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:23 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

When my EGR went a few years ago, the dealer in AR wanted $400 just for that, alone. They said the part was something like $120, if I remember correctly. It just sounded utterly ridiculous, so I took it to my local wrench, and he did the EGR, plugs, and trans/transfer case fluids for less than the $400 the dealer wanted just for the EGR.

This is the same dealer that said they couldn't replicate my 4x4 issue (wouldn't engage the front in 4H) after nearly a week in their shop, yet, when I got in to pick it up, the lever was in 4H, but the truck was obviously not in 4WD. I drove it right back around to the service bay, had the service manager drive it around the lot, then told him to look down at the transfer case shifter. It was fixed the next day...

Old 02-17-2012, 04:58 AM
dirtballer
Professional

[QUOTE=NV290;2720368]I paid about $330.00 to have only the plugs changed on my 06' from the dealer. So i would agree.

After talking to two friends who did it themselves, they both said "Never again". I even offered one of them $200 to do the plugs and he said "No way". So i gave in and had the dealer do it.[/QUOTE

I did the plug's on my wife's 04 ram1500 4x2. Your friend is right never again. There are some back plug's that are a pain.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:03 AM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

I guess the economy is coming back strong after all. Yep, nobody gets done with that last plug and jumps up and down yelling "let's do it again, I can't wait!". But "never again"????? Really? If I knew I could keep them lined up all day, everyday and each willing to give me $200 cash, I'd do it.

It's really not that bad. My feeling after doing it once, as is the case often, is that it won't be near as bad next time, or take half as long.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:01 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 04HemiGreg
I guess the economy is coming back strong after all. Yep, nobody gets done with that last plug and jumps up and down yelling "let's do it again, I can't wait!". But "never again"????? Really? If I knew I could keep them lined up all day, everyday and each willing to give me $200 cash, I'd do it.

It's really not that bad. My feeling after doing it once, as is the case often, is that it won't be near as bad next time, or take half as long.
I don't know if the economy is getting better or not, I know I've been out of work since Thanksgiving and can't find a thing in my field. Of course I'm stuck in an area (for family health reasons) where 8000 people in my field have been laid off since '08.

What I'm seeing, at least around my circles are a bunch of parents who just about go into hock to hand their kids $ and don't spend any time teaching them a damn thing.

I have a good friend in my hunting club, plumber by trade and his wife is a school teacher. Typical middle-class family who gets by, manages to save a couple bucks until something comes up. Their son turned 16 about a year ago and wanted a truck, so they ponied up and bought him a slightly used, '09 Chevy Z71 to the tune of $450 a month payments. Kid has it a couple of months and starts in with the "johnny has a 6" lift and 35" tires on his truck" crap and within a couple of months, they PAY for a lift, tires, exhaust, brush guard and a few other goodies to the tune of about $5000 in which they took an equity against their house for. Paid for installation of EVERYTHING, including the brush guard that the kid could have done in about 2 hours by himself. BTW, mom and pop are paying $200 a month to knock the equity loan out in under 3 years.

Now this guy and I hunted together a couple of times in November and first words out of his mouth is how he can't get caught up with his bills and to make matters worse, the truck which had 28k miles on it when he bought it was up to 54k miles in slightly over one year the kid has had it - and he's handing the kid upwards of $250 a month because the kid's part-time, weekend job ain't enough for him to pay for gas (not to mention they are paying for insurance and the kid has gotten two tickets in the truck!) To top it off, they've done NO maintenance since they bought it, so it's OVERDUE for about everything and he's got an estimate from the dealer for $1300 for all the work that's due (again, more than half of it the kids is perfectly capable of).

So the way I see it, we got $450 a month in the truck, $200 a month in an equity for all the mods and labor, $250 in gas and another $200 for the kid's insurance which adds up to $1100 EVERY MONTH and he doesn't know where he's going to come up with the money for the maintenance work that's overdue, so it'll probably be skipped.

Although this is by far the most extreme case I know of, a LOT of my friends with kids do the same damn thing. Just hand them money and don't spend time teaching them a damn thing.

Now am I the ONLY one that sees something bad wrong here???

I know if I ever went to my old man for a dime for any labor on a vehicle he would have either told me to go do it myself or if it was something he knew to be beyond my knowledge/ability, then he would have made time to show me how to do it.

Last edited by HammerZ71; 02-17-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:38 AM
sumrtym77

I have mine done at Express Oil Change here in Huntsville, AL. The charge $250 for plugs and labor. The Dodge Dealership is way to expensive to have anything done except warranty work.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:26 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

If you ask me, $250 is too much as well. But I guess it's worth whatever you are willing to pay to not get your hands dirty or spend the time. Everyone has their own limits there.

Hammer, what is your line of expertise? I hate to hear anyone being out of work that wants to work. I hate, even worse, people that have figured out how to make it a way of life. I live among a lot of those. Yet they have rims and stereos on their vehicles that they are "renting to own" and they are worth more than the car they are driving.

I've also got the friends that don't pay their taxes and bills but always seem to get whatever they want and have the best of everything.

The economy comment was certainly "tongue in cheek"

Old 02-17-2012, 02:52 PM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dudemanbrother
Definately worth changing at this point. It's probably filthy! Yes we do have a pcv. No hose attached. It's to the left of the throttle body. It has a little twist lock top. Dealer only part and about $35 bucks but only takes a minute to swap. A few seconds if your hemi hat is gone.
Ill have to do them both. Their is a Dodge Dealer on Ebay selling Mopar EGR valves for $89.95. Are the aftermarket models OK to buy? They are still much cheaper.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:31 AM
Dudemanbrother
Professional

I'm sure the mopar egr is rebranded anyways. The duralast egr I bought for $40 at auto zone is identical and I've had no problems with it.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:19 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The only three I've ever bought, one for my truck, were from Advance Auto, made in USA, worked flawlessly and cost under $35...

Quick Reply: $550?! Seriously?! Plugs wires and a sensor?!