3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2002 Ram 1500 Problems please help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 04:41 PM
Davi Azoff
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Ram 1500 Problems please help!

Ok so heres a little background. I bought this 02 Ram 1500 quad cab for 1,200 bucks. Knowing that the rear is blown and that ill have to put new heads in the engine. Got the rear for 700 in the midwest and new heads thrown on. After everything was all done the little pin that held the timing gear in place snapped off right after we started it up..no problem drilled out put another one it. Since then has been driving fine for the past 3-4 days and then randomly turned off one day while crossing an intersection. It would crank and crank and crank and randomly sputter on but would only stay on if i held the pedal down. If i held it too much itd want to turn off and wouldn't stay idle. I thought it was the fuel pump since also I would press the pressure relief on the fuel rail and a little squirt (1inch maybe) of gas would come out then nothing. so replaced that. Crank it over and it runs worse! flooring the pedal would keep RPMS under 500 and sounds terrible. I have some codes p0600, ac96, p0000. Im very confused and dont want to play this game of throwing parts at it!.. please help!!

Old 02-27-2012, 05:44 PM
bigdaddyII
Captain

* P0600 Serial Communication Link Malfunction
* P0000 and * ac96 are showing as invalid codes. I cant find anything on them.

They may be codes from when the head gasket was acting up, or may have something to do with the Comm Link Malfunction code.

When the gaskets were busted, how were they leaking? If through the exhaust, running anti freeze through the cats may have damaged them or the o2 sensors.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:18 PM
Davi Azoff

well after the truck was done i drove it for 3 days and this happen. There were no codes during these 3 days on non stop driving. the codes poped on when i was holding the pedal down to keep the engine on.

Think I need a new computer?

Quick Reply: 2002 Ram 1500 Problems please help!