3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

slight ticking at startup, exhaust manifold question

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 01:58 PM
ckapp
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation slight ticking at startup, exhaust manifold question

Hi, so I've been getting a ticking, diesel engine kind of sound from my 08 4.7 engine when it is cold and poking around online led me to check out the exhaust manifolds. Well, the thing I noticed was that the drivers side has a piece of metal covering the manifold and that the passenger side does not. Also where it bolts to the pipe looks kind of warped. The sound does seem to come more from the passenger side.... Recommendations? The truck i bought used at 36000 miles, would the 5 yr 100k powertrain warranty cover this? I am going to take a few shots down there and post them shortly, thanks in advance for any help!

Old 02-28-2012, 02:44 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suppose it would, but my 2001 4.7L ticks too for a couple minutes at start up too. I just threw in a bottle of Lucas Oil Treatment and it quieted it down for me. I had the same problem on a 2001 5.0L in my Explorer and used the Oil Treatment and it went away completely.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:50 PM
ckapp
Amateur

here are a few shots of the passenger side exhaust manifold

Attached Thumbnails slight ticking at startup, exhaust manifold question-photo02281322_1.jpg   slight ticking at startup, exhaust manifold question-photo02281323.jpg  
Old 02-28-2012, 03:24 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah. It looks like aged metal to me. The metal cover was only a heat shield, but you know it is no big deal seeing how the headers can actually get red hot sometimes. If anything, you may have a vale problem or maybe a cam tensioner problem or something. The ticking for the 4.7L is a normal thing and almost every single 4.7L produced makes the noise.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:42 PM
ckapp
Amateur

Well if it is that common I guess I'll try the fuel treatment, and just keep an eye on it in case it starts sounding louder. Really, it isn't that loud now but i want to catch a major problem early on if possible.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:12 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

check the rear two bolts on the manifold, both sides. Common problem with the 4.7 is that the bolt heads snap off - common symptom is that you hear it clanging/knocking whatever at startup, if it's not too bad yet (warped) then as heat builds, the gasket swells and the sound either stops or lessens.

Had to just do the rear two driver's side bolts on my Grand Cherokee (4.7), luckily there was enough threads exposed to get ahold of them and back them out easily...

Old 09-21-2012, 07:31 PM
ckapp
Amateur

I wanted to update on this, I did check awhile back and found one of the drivers side manifold bolts was so loose that i could remove it with my hand. I torqued it to 18 ft lbs, and although the ticking is still there, maybe not as loud as before.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:45 PM
MountainmanMike

I had the same issue with a Jeep Commander. found the pass rear exhaust manifold bolts broken off. was able to extract the broken bolts and replaced them. The noise did get quieter but didnt completely go away so I did end up replacing the gasket. Heads up If you end up replacing the gasket spend the 20 bucks and get new exhaust manifold bolts from mopar. I have seen people reuse the bolt and had the bolts break a few months down the road

Quick Reply: slight ticking at startup, exhaust manifold question