3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine wiring upgrade - 2003 5.7 to 2004/2005

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 04:00 PM
BoostedSport
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T-Muns
I thought I would upgrade my wiring and pcm to 2004/2005. I eventually want to put a camshaft in that will require custom tuning and I didn't want to run into any of the 2003 tuning issues. And since the combination of diablosport/superchips screwed my 2003 pcm, I went forward with the project.

After comparing the pinouts I picked up a 2004 pcm and harness. I didn't realize how differently they are setup, as C3 (white plug) is on a separate harness.

Basically, 3 of 4 pcm plugs are almost identical. The differences are that 2004/2005 has pins for EGR and 2 extra O2 sensors (1 pre-cat, 1 post-cat). The 4th plug (green) contains the transmission stuff so that one is the biggest difference. Since I have a 2002, I had to redo some of the wiring I did before to retrofit 2002 to 2003. There are some other little differences as well.

I ended up removing the green plug wiring and TCM wiring from the 2003 harness and replacing it with the green plug wiring I extracted from the 2004 harness. Now I have a decent looking 2003 harness with the big C130 dash plug and all but with the extra stuff for 2004/2005. I'll probably pick up a 2005 pcm when I can find one cheap just to try out the diablo trans stuff but I'm going manual anyway. The service manuals show 2004 and 2005 being exactly the same.

Now that I'm really familiar with the wiring, I would not do it this way again. I would just pick up 2 O2 plugs and run fresh wires for those. Then remove TCM and rewire to C4 (green plug) accordingly since I have a lot of extra pcm pins and wires.

I soldered a $hitload of wires so it was a decent project, but sure as hell beats dealing with future tuning issues and it was done inside on a workbench. Everything still works, I just have 2 EGR codes (will be removed with custom tune) and a code for the 2nd downstream O2 sensor that I will eventually add when I put cats in. I now have an extra 2003 harness so I'm going to make another one and sell it off if anyone is interested. Let me know if you're trying to tackle this and have any questions.

From 2004 harness separated and labeled

TCM and C4 stuff removed from 2003 harness

Putting it all together

Open PCM plug and remove tab to insert new wire

Adding a PCM wire
Edit: Don't do it this way. You can yank/insert wires from the back without removing the face of the plug.

Harness boxed up again - Left side - 2004 style

Right side - original 2003 style
What all wiring and or pieces do I need from an 05 ram would I need? I'm 2wd w/ 4 wheel abs, does that matter among the PCM selection? Any help would be appriciated; or I could maybe pay you to make a harness for me…
Pat

Old 01-08-2014, 05:19 PM
DanielHemi

You only need a PCM from the 2005, preferably a 2500 model so that the egr valve is not an issue. The wires and plugs are all there. Just get two more o2 censors and go for it. Diablosport shows that they have way more tuning adjustment ability with the handheld on a 2005. Shift firmness, and a bunch of other stuff. Look it up and do the comparison of the 04 to the 05. There is a place in the Miami area that sells the PCM off the shelf for around $130, and they can do the egr delete for you, give you the correct vin number, and more, it might be worth a look. I found them on eBay and called them. I am finally going to get to my wiring harness, my truck had a bad injector which leaned out cylinder 3 and broke the piston. So I have been playing catch up, paying down another credit card... At least work has been picking up.

Last edited by DanielHemi; 01-08-2014 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Wrong info
Old 01-09-2014, 09:28 AM
BoostedSport

Originally Posted by DanielHemi
You only need a PCM from the 2005, preferably a 2500 model so that the egr valve is not an issue. The wires and plugs are all there. Just get two more o2 censors and go for it. Diablosport shows that they have way more tuning adjustment ability with the handheld on a 2005. Shift firmness, and a bunch of other stuff. Look it up and do the comparison of the 04 to the 05. There is a place in the Miami area that sells the PCM off the shelf for around $130, and they can do the egr delete for you, give you the correct vin number, and more, it might be worth a look. I found them on eBay and called them. I am finally going to get to my wiring harness, my truck had a bad injector which leaned out cylinder 3 and broke the piston. So I have been playing catch up, paying down another credit card... At least work has been picking up.

Thank you for the reply! And do you have 4 wheel abs, I do will that be a factor in the 05 PCM? And I don't need any of the harness off of a 05?

Old 01-09-2014, 12:42 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if you have an 04, I think I remember Weed saying when he looked into it that it wasn't quite plug-n-play; there were some different pinouts. If you have an 03 it's ALOT different.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:49 PM
DanielHemi

The abs is not an issue, it runs off a different computer. I always thought that the four wheel abs was standard on these models. It was on mine. And no, you don't need another harness. Just patience and wires for the extra o2 censors and the stuff t-muns listed. Good times!

Old 01-09-2014, 09:17 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The abs is not an issue, it runs off a different computer. I always thought that the four wheel abs was standard on these models. It was on mine. And no, you don't need another harness. Just patience and wires for the extra o2 censors and the stuff t-muns listed. Good times!
2 wheel was standard, 4 wheel optional, at least on the early 3rd gens.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:19 PM
BoostedSport

Do I really need the 02 censors since I'm going to get it custom tune? It will tune them out wont it?

Old 01-15-2014, 05:45 PM
BoostedSport

What's the number for the guys in Miami

Old 12-16-2016, 01:09 PM
Shawn2169
Default Help lol

I've swaped a 2003 motor and wiring and computer into a 2002 and now trany goes to limp mode and all gears selected is there a difference in the c130 plug?

Old 06-24-2019, 07:47 PM
Hemieagle
Default Need help converting 03 harness to 05

Originally Posted by T-Muns
I thought I would upgrade my wiring and pcm to 2004/2005. I eventually want to put a camshaft in that will require custom tuning and I didn't want to run into any of the 2003 tuning issues. And since the combination of diablosport/superchips screwed my 2003 pcm, I went forward with the project.

After comparing the pinouts I picked up a 2004 pcm and harness. I didn't realize how differently they are setup, as C3 (white plug) is on a separate harness.

Basically, 3 of 4 pcm plugs are almost identical. The differences are that 2004/2005 has pins for EGR and 2 extra O2 sensors (1 pre-cat, 1 post-cat). The 4th plug (green) contains the transmission stuff so that one is the biggest difference. Since I have a 2002, I had to redo some of the wiring I did before to retrofit 2002 to 2003. There are some other little differences as well.

I ended up removing the green plug wiring and TCM wiring from the 2003 harness and replacing it with the green plug wiring I extracted from the 2004 harness. Now I have a decent looking 2003 harness with the big C130 dash plug and all but with the extra stuff for 2004/2005. I'll probably pick up a 2005 pcm when I can find one cheap just to try out the diablo trans stuff but I'm going manual anyway. The service manuals show 2004 and 2005 being exactly the same.

Now that I'm really familiar with the wiring, I would not do it this way again. I would just pick up 2 O2 plugs and run fresh wires for those. Then remove TCM and rewire to C4 (green plug) accordingly since I have a lot of extra pcm pins and wires.

I soldered a $hitload of wires so it was a decent project, but sure as hell beats dealing with future tuning issues and it was done inside on a workbench. Everything still works, I just have 2 EGR codes (will be removed with custom tune) and a code for the 2nd downstream O2 sensor that I will eventually add when I put cats in. I now have an extra 2003 harness so I'm going to make another one and sell it off if anyone is interested. Let me know if you're trying to tackle this and have any questions.

From 2004 harness separated and labeled
Attachment 56264

TCM and C4 stuff removed from 2003 harness
Attachment 56265

Putting it all together
Attachment 56266

Open PCM plug and remove tab to insert new wire
Attachment 56267

Adding a PCM wire
Edit: Don't do it this way. You can yank/insert wires from the back without removing the face of the plug.
Attachment 56268

Harness boxed up again - Left side - 2004 style
Attachment 56269

Right side - original 2003 style
Attachment 56270
T-Muns is there anyway you can help me out with what pins I need to change to get this 05 pcm to start working on my 03 harness/ motor, codes don’t matter because it’s being tuned. Everything I’ve found comparing 03 to 04/05 pinouts on the pcm say that for the most part it’s all the same, but the pci bus I can’t seem to figure it out thanks for the help in advance

Quick Reply: Engine wiring upgrade - 2003 5.7 to 2004/2005