3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Do you HAVE to Reboot when replacing parts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 01:00 PM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do you HAVE to Reboot when replacing parts?

I was going to remove and clean my Throttle Body today and install a new EGR valve and clean the tube that attaches it to intake. I currently have no Check Engine light on nor any issues at all with my truck. Is their any reason for me to pull a battery cable before or after doing this work? With the truck off while the work is being done, will the computer even know their is a new EGR valve and that i unplugged my Throttle Body when i removed it?

Any ideas?

Old 03-06-2012, 05:44 PM
Dudemanbrother
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are advised to disconnect the neg terminal of the battery any time you are working with electrical wires. Even unplugging sensors. Will it set a trouble code? I'm not sure, but it is an extra 10 seconds so I'd advise you to just do it every time.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:36 PM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just wondering if it was something unique to these trucks. Not wanting to pull the cable has nothing to do with the time or effort to do it. It's having to deal with doing all the radio Pre-sets over. But in any event, i pulled and cleaned the Throttle body and added the ground wire. No issues found.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:04 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many people tell you to do it "so the computer will learn faster" which is totally wrong. The computer is always adjusting every value. It will react to a change as soon as it's powered up.

Who's to say that the default values are any better than the values in memory before you changed a part? The ECU will learn from that point just as it would learn if you don't reset anything.

Your truck's computer isn't powered by Microsoft. It doesn't need a scheduled reboot. If it drives better when you do, something is wrong!

Quick Reply: Do you HAVE to Reboot when replacing parts?