3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

This tapping is driving me NUTS.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 07:49 PM
Folkmantis
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ljbtx903
I am helping a friend who has a 97 ram 1500 5.2 liter. I replaced the water pump, the truck ran yesterday, but wont start now. I had to loosen the ac bracket and the alternator to get to the small hose that goes from the pump to the block. the only thing I unhooked was the ground wire from the alternator which I re-grounded. When you crank the truck now it backfires out the throttle body and the fan will spin backwards when you let go of the key. Any Ideas?
Idea #1: Make a thread.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:43 PM
slakker25rs
Professional

I, too, believed it was a tapping in the engine.

If it is exhaust Manifold bolts - Which it proably is. Holding the manifold to the engine is 4 studs with nuts and 4 bolts - If I remember correctly. The exhaust shield is held on by the 4 nuts onto the 4 studs. IN my case, 2 of the 4 studs broke , where the nut holds on the shield and the exhaust shield was hanging partly off. If this happens, then the manifold can pull away from the head at the location of the broken stud. I could also see, near where the broken stud was, black soot that was escaping the manifold.

The replacement is easy, atleast for me. All of the studs and bolts removed easily.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:23 AM
Folkmantis
Rookie

Assuming that we are talking about the same thing, then I believe mine is ok.....I checked the bolts right there on both sides, all tightened nicely. If I was looking at the cover and the actual bolts are under, then tell me please, lol

Old 03-12-2012, 12:50 PM
slakker25rs
Professional

Mine was easy to find, but I am sure that instead of the studs breaking, the bolt could break too. If a bolt broke, then the heat shield would look normal and tight.

Just a thought. Good luck

Old 03-12-2012, 12:56 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I just had to replace two on my Grand Cherokee (4.7) rear two on driver's side. Common as all hell. Was lucky the heads broke off and there was enough threads exposed to grab onto, actually turned out by hand. And yes, this causes the manifold to slap against the engine and sounds JUST like a bad lifter...

Old 03-12-2012, 02:29 PM
slakker25rs
Professional

Hammer, Just for my knowledge, is the manifold slapping the head the casue of the noise. I thought it was due to the overheated air/gas/exhaust reaching fresh cold air and detonating.

PLease advise

Old 03-12-2012, 02:31 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Mine was a definite metal on metal tapping, I could duplicate it just be moving the manifold by hand with the engine off...

Old 03-12-2012, 05:46 PM
Folkmantis
Rookie

Well the noise is gone for now actually, I looked at the manifold bolts and i tried tightening them, but they were all rock solid.....I think it just took a good half a tank for the seafoam to work it's magic......We'll see how long it lasts though...

In other news though, my buddy's 2000ish Chevy 1500 is having exhaust problems, so here's to that! I get to help him out in my spare time all week. Should be easy to fix though, sounds like its just a leak.

Quick Reply: This tapping is driving me NUTS.