3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Locking Gas Cap

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 05:34 PM
aappleby
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locking Gas Cap

I just bought a mopar gas cap. I put it on, lock it, and yet I can still take it off. I'm just curious on how it really locks down on the fuel neck to deter people. So if any one has any ideas let me know. BTW the gas cap is only 15 bucks. Definately a good investment if you park outside 24/7.

Old 08-11-2005, 07:36 PM
RamRough
Default RE: Locking Gas Cap

So you can turn the lock either way 180* and it wont lock? Its probably junk then. just be glad it didnt lock and then not work. When i bought mine at my 4x shop, the owner and friend told me to go try it first because they get a few that dont work straight away. when i lock mine it just spins freely round. I assume it disengages the top from the bottom/inside. BTW i had a locking billet door befoer and after just a couple of winter months, the lock froze up. so i warrantied it out for the non locking one and got the cap instead. no problems yet!

I actually have it on there for anti contamination purposes more than fuel theft. Especialy hearing about someone getting their plastic tank slashed and drained.[>:] guess another reason for a skid plate. anyhow having to unlock the cap forces me (or anyone else driving) to think about what im doing and make sure im hitting up the diesel pump! I dont think i would do it but who knows, brainfarts arent foreign to me.

Old 08-11-2005, 11:03 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Locking gas caps are only intended to keep honest people out and slow down a gas thief. Take it back, there's something wrong with it.

Old 08-12-2005, 03:08 PM
RamRough

Yeah slow em down enough that hopefully they will move to an easier target.

Old 08-12-2005, 07:27 PM
Rick0636

I have the chrome billet fuel door with the lock, hope it doesn't freeze up, not that cold here in NC most of the time, if that happens will heat up the key, usually thaws out locks pretty well.

Old 08-13-2005, 12:12 PM
Mr Mojo
Amateur

I had a locking gas cap that required you to actually lock it with the key. It was a real pain in the neck. You have to unlock it with the key, spin it off and then after spinning it back on, lock it with the key. Otherwise it acted as a normal gas cap.

Quick Reply: Locking Gas Cap