3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear Window Leaking?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 02:57 PM
JiB-z
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Window Leaking?

Does anyone know if there is a company that makes replacement seals for a power slider rear window in a 2006 Ram 1500. The current issue is water accumulation under the passenger side rear seat after it rains. The water runs in around the bottom of the seal and down the jute behind the seat and into the storage compartment. Any help with seal knowledge on this would be greatly appriciated.

Last edited by JiB-z; 03-19-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:18 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes, you can get them at LMC Truck BUT make sure the leak is at the window - a more likely cause is the seal around your 3rd Brake Light (a VERY common issue). It gets in there and runs around the window and down under the bottom of it making it seem that it's the window that's leaking. You can remove the light and silicone it real well and put it back on to fix it.

It's worth doing anyway - a $2 tube of silicone isn't much wasted before you spend the money on new window seals that may not fix your problem...

Old 03-23-2012, 03:30 PM
JiB-z

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Yes, you can get them at LMC Truck BUT make sure the leak is at the window - a more likely cause is the seal around your 3rd Brake Light (a VERY common issue). It gets in there and runs around the window and down under the bottom of it making it seem that it's the window that's leaking. You can remove the light and silicone it real well and put it back on to fix it.

It's worth doing anyway - a $2 tube of silicone isn't much wasted before you spend the money on new window seals that may not fix your problem...
The third brake light never leaked but I did silicone it the first time this happened and it was still the back window. I looked at LMC and didn't see any seals, I also stopped at the dodge dealer and they said they can't get seals for it.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:01 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I bought one for a 2nd Gen Ram at LMC maybe five or six years ago.

I can check with a buddy of mine who used to be a service manager for Chrysler on Mopar part number.

If it were me, I'd just run a good bead of clear silicone around the window if it were me. Unless it's getting in where the sliding glass separates then I think you're f*cked. I know a few guys who ended up buying 3rd party rear power sliders after frigging around with theirs long enough...

Old 03-23-2012, 08:15 PM
scwpd
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the sliding glass out I have seen a few threads where the drain holes clogging up.I think the fix was to clean them out and then actually make them slightly large by drilling them out

Old 03-29-2012, 04:16 PM
JiB-z

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I bought one for a 2nd Gen Ram at LMC maybe five or six years ago.

I can check with a buddy of mine who used to be a service manager for Chrysler on Mopar part number.

If it were me, I'd just run a good bead of clear silicone around the window if it were me. Unless it's getting in where the sliding glass separates then I think you're f*cked. I know a few guys who ended up buying 3rd party rear power sliders after frigging around with theirs long enough...
It was coming in betwenn the power slider and the stationary window itself. I just kept packing silicone until i created a new corne seal on both bottom cornes which stopped that leak.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:17 PM
JiB-z

Thanks for all of your help. After sealing the corners around the slider, the leak in that area stopped. The water inside the cab still persisted so With a little more testing (a.k.a. let it rain like it tends to do in PA) the seal itself aound the outside of the window that seals it to the cab it the issue. It is taking on water about half way down the window on the passenger side which allows a constant stream of flow. I will be sealing the whole way around the window to fix the problem. PS I also did get bored enough to check the third brake light which was sadly still dry.

Quick Reply: Rear Window Leaking?