3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Clunk in front end while turning

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 04:30 PM
TMYTQLA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunk in front end while turning

Hi folks.

First off, sorry if this is in the wrong place. Still new to the forum and wasn't sure where this fell under, since I am unsure what the problem is. So, if it needs to be moved, please feel free.

Second, so I don't get asked later, I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 with AWD option, Automatic Quad cab with no lift or leveling kit. The front end suspension was replaced about a year ago.

Third, the problem. I have had this occur several times but it is intermittent and so hard to diagnose and thus hard to take to a dealer. I'm not a truck guru but have read and have thought of several things it MIGHT be but in all my readings have not come across an identical set of circumstances.
Here's the situation:
I was turning right into a driveway (minor bump) and because of the angle, I had to turn the steering wheel all the way to the right. As I did so, there was a series of loud clunks (metal sounding) and as soon as I moved the steering wheel back, even a fraction of an inch, it stopped immediately. This has happened once before and it was similar situation, minus the bump. It was a U-Turn in a parking lot and I turned the wheel all the way, for about 2 seconds and it started to make the noise. As soon as I moved the steering wheel back slightly, it stopped. Same direction. Happens going forward and back. Was not in AWD or 4X4 so I don't suspect a CV Joint issue. Was on dry roads both times in RWD. Sound does not happen turning left. The truck drives fine, there is no pull to either side. It rides fine, no undue shaking, wobbling nor bounce. Most of the front end suspension was replaced about a year ago. Never hear the noise other than in those odd situations.

So, is this possibly normal (can't believe it would be but one never knows) and if not, what could it be. My layman's guess would be the track bar is loose. But that's just a guess from reading on this and other forums. I am reluctant to take it to the dealer without having some background info, especially since it doesn't happen 100% of the time.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Old 03-19-2012, 08:11 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 03-20-2012, 12:51 AM
Cody Ray Rosenbalm

I have the same thing happen in my 08 ram 1500 except its not 4x4... What is the deal?

Old 03-20-2012, 11:22 AM
TMYTQLA

Sorry about that. My bad.

It's been moved I see. Thanks.

But, still no insight?

Old 03-20-2012, 03:16 PM
TMYTQLA

Sorry, my bad. New to forums.

So, is there any other insight into this problem or am I better off just taking it in?

Old 03-20-2012, 03:26 PM
TMYTQLA

Well, no real response here. Going to take it in to a certified mechanic. Too bad. Decent forum, low participation. Sorry for posting in the wrong spot. My bad. Was in a rush.

Side note, 102 views of my 'welcome' post, not one response. Strange forum. Lots of good info here, seems to be knowledgeable people as well. Not understanding the lack of warm welcome (or welcome at all).

Oh well, I'll move along. Thanks for your help though.

Cheers.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:05 PM
hillbilli
Veteran

Welcome Welcome...

Had a similar issue on my Durango this weekend. Turned up to be a tie rod end. Best thing you can do is jack up the front end to get the wheels off the ground. Then start jerking and shaking everything until you find something that is loose. It could still be a CV to. Dodge axles are always engaged and turning unlike chevys and fords (partly why you hardly ever see a dodge stuck). As soon as the transfer case is engaged you have 4x4 and dont have to wait or drive so far for it to engage. Is there any unusual tire wear patterns?

Last edited by hillbilli; 03-20-2012 at 04:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Clunk in front end while turning